1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friends telling others

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by roryoswinpond, Jun 12, 2014.

1. roryoswinpond

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So I've come out to a few of my friends recently and I'm nervous and excited and feeling about a billion emotions at once as you know.
    But the other day I found out that one of my friends has told two other people without my permission.
    Am I overreacting? Because I'm really angry :***: :***: :***: :***:

2. Tetra

No, you aren't overreacting! If you asked them not to tell anyone, then they should respect that.

If I were you I'd have a serious talk with them, and tell them that it can't happen again. Explain exactly WHY you told them, and why you don't want them to be spreading it around anymore.

3. shadowraptor

No, of course not! Your anger is completely justified. I know I'd be pretty pissed if someone outed me without my permission. Remind them that it's not their secret to be sharing, and that they shouldn't be gossiping without your permission.

4. GayDadStr8Marig

I agree your friend should not be the one spreading word about you. Especially if you asked to keep it quiet. But the reality is there's no way to stop anyone from sharing news among friends. It is a necessary risk in coming out.

5. CoffeeandCake

Same thing happened to me. The first person I came out to told the girl I liked that I was gay for her. I was furious and didn't know what to do. One of my other friends told me that no one believed I was Bi anyways, so I kept pretending to be straight.

Weeks later we made up and he apologized. He said he was just talking to her and it slipped out. He's that kind of person.

You have every right to be angry. They should never tell a big secret like that. Especially when you entrusted them to keep it.