1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terrified of Losing My Best Friend (not b/c I'm in love with her though lol)

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Peanuts, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Peanuts

I'll just try and summarize the context; hopefully it's not tl;dr. Sorry for run-ons and for my silly teenager problems.

My best friend and I have been mostly inseparable for the past year, and we've been close friends for three years in total ever since my freshman year. She's been fantastic to me and I've never had problems with her... until the past 4 months of this year.

Ever since February, I could feel her annoyance with me growing. We tease each other a lot, but the teasing would be biting and it felt like she really meant it when she said things like, "You're an idiot", "I don't like you", "I don't know why I'm even friends with you". We usually say those things to each other but this time it began to hurt.

She also would get frustrated at me very easily whenever we work together, and commonly when we talk she'd say things like, "I don't want to have this conversation" even if the topic is normal and fun. Conversations became arguments a lot.

She prefers to talk to other people a lot more now, which I think is good because she's normally cynical and introverted! But I notice that she has a lot more fun talking to others than she does with me, and she quickly gets tired or stressed out talking to me.

I've discussed this with her enough times over the past month, face-to-face and then over text (because I'm an idiot). We've both expressed to each other how much we don't want to lose the other and how much we love each other. She's said she's sorry that she hurts me so much and gets stressed and anxious and is pathetic and I should forget about her because she's a worthless friend and move on. I was recently diagnosed with depression so she also said that I should focus on making myself better instead of focusing on her.

She sent a text this Sunday saying that she wants to talk to me again and listen to me and wants me to feel better and she's stressed because finals are this week and her junior year has also been crap, so she's excited for summer to come.

I was stupid and got into an argument with her on Monday and I sent a text saying that maybe we should take a break for a while--I didn't say how long. She sent a reply saying that she agrees, that she should have initiated it because it was her original plan to cut contact and that I should again focus on myself, forget her because she's a pathetic narcissist bitch, and she wants to see me happy and that she cares about me.

I regret having sent that text and school's over tomorrow on Friday, and I don't know when I'll next see her. I don't think I can wait until September, and by then our friendship might be over. I don't want to cut off contact with her. I love her and care about her and she's one of the most important people in my life, and I just want my friend back. I want to hang out with her tons this summer and have fun.

My friends say she still cares but I want to hear it from her. I don't know how to take what I said back because I realize what I lost, and it's because I got caught up in stupid emotions with a text.

What do I do next? How can I establish any kind of friendship with her again? I hate that she thinks that my depression means that I can't be friends with her. It makes it worse, not better. I think she's wonderful, fun, hilarious, insightful, and I could talk to her endlessly; she's definitely not "pathetic" or "worthless" to me.

My friend says to call her when finals are over, so she says Saturday, and talk it out with her. My other friend says I'm rushing things and I need to wait until next week, but I haven't acknowledged her since the argument and "break-up" text. My parents say give up on her. I don't know who to listen to.

#1 Peanuts, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  2. guijin lesbian

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I haven't been in that same exact case before but i understand. I think if you feel ready to talk with her then you should. I don't think you should give up on her though, i live on a base over seas and you are lucky to have a good friend for a year. My BFF who I do have a crush on (she knows) just moved today, over five years here i have learned that friends aren't good for throwing away. Try to talk to her and maybe she has just changed but thats ok to. Good luck