1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Supportive" Father?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by KayJay, Jun 13, 2014.

1. KayJay

A little over a year ago I came out to my dad and step mom. I told my step mom first alone and she said she couldn't keep it a secret so I had to tell my dad and do it all twice the same night. That isn't really the point though but I thought I would share :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

At first they were both very not too keen on it I guess I could say. They didn't openly tell me that I was wrong or anything like that but they didn't seem to want me to do anything about it. We ended up going to these meetings for LGBT families where the parents would go in a separate rooms and have a group meeting with their peers and also counselor type people. I didn't feel like I needed to go - I was the only trans* person there (I see people do the asterisk beside trans and I am not totally sure what it means to be honest but thought I would do it in case it is offensive not to? :s). I didn't get much out of it because my peers were all struggling with sexual orientation. It worked really well for my parents and after the 3 months of the meetings they seem to be support.

I just sometimes feel like in ways they are not. I know both of them, my father especially, is used to calling me my old name with male pronouns but a year and a bit later my whole immediate family (except my brother) uses male pronouns still almost always. My dad calls me my old name sometimes too. It really bums me out and I can't tell if it is on purpose or not. I think the name isn't since it is usually at times where things are going fast and I guess it is like an old muscle memory type thing with his vocal chords or something. I kind of feel like the pronouns are intentional though. They use male ones almost always and when I correct them right after they don't even say sorry or anything.

I am probably imagining it but I kind of feel like at this point it is on purpose, I've still never heard him call me his daughter before although that specific situation doesn't come up often.

I am not even sure what I am asking anymore but just kind of wanted to say how I felt because sometimes that helps.

2. PalestrinaMX

You should talk to them and tell them how it makes you feel. Or talk to one of those counselors and have them set something up with you and your parents. Perhaps there are some thing your parents haven't fully grasped. Good luck.