1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I find someone to be with?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by legitawesome17, Jun 16, 2014.

1. legitawesome17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm a recent high school graduate and recently turned 18 .I'm going to University in the same city
    once fall starts. Now ,I don't want to seem rude to flaming gay guys and I also don't want to seem
    like I am planning to go to University just to get some action. I actually have my life and career plan
    laid out :eusa_clap

I've never really had sex or had a boyfriend.I know I'm not attracted to flamboyant gay guys.I tried
    to be open-minded and briefly went out with a guy I consider to be "flaming" gay. It didn't end well.
    I felt like I was with a woman and I don't want to feel that that way if I was to have a boyfriend. I
    myself happen to be athletic and less noticeable (god I hate using that label)

As a minor, I've tried everything there is available to me: LGBT youth clubs,gay pride and even
    asked help from a few straight girls who were said to know a ton of gay people(e.g faghags).But
    alas,nothing seems to work.And when I asked my friends for help,they said that the only masc gay
    guy they know is ME. :bang:

Now I don't know what else is left for me to try. There is only 2 gay bars in my city and they're
    not popular.I picture that the gay club in my University will be no different to the youth LGBT
    organizations in my city.The gay sports clubs available here are mostly for guys in their 30's ,
    nothing wrong with that but I may feel out of place as I'm significantly younger .I've tried apps
    that shall not be mentioned, very few profiles to consider and the hot ones are significantly older
    than me(24-26).They'd probably agree to hook up but I doubt they'd be interested in a youngster
    for something more than a one night stand.

So anyone who can offer we with advice or :help: ?

#1 legitawesome17, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  2. mangotree

Not sure if it's different in Canada, but in most countries 18 means you're an adult (no longer a minor). Sure, you might not be allowed to drink until you're 21 over there, but technically you're an adult.
    I personally think you'd have a safe bet dating a 24-26 year old, there's not a huge age difference there. It's just that most of those apps (we dare not speak their names) are mainly for hookups... so I get where you're coming from. Some guys on there are just looking for friends though, worth considering.

It sounds like you've considered and/or exhausted pretty much all of the 'meeting guys' resources available to you in your area.
    I suppose you might just have to be patient and wait until you meet someone unexpectedly / in the real wider world.

What are your other interests? are you religious/spiritual at all? are you a member of a gym? do you have any gay friends? do you think you could be friends with a "flaming gay"? (they often have "masc" friends).

Peace be with you.

3. legitawesome17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In my Province(state in American and Australian terms) the drinking age is 18. Yes there
    is a gym I frequently go to and I actually like someone from there,but he's likely straight so
    yeah :/

I have few acquaintances who happen to be gay (and fem) and I am in friendly terms with them
    although we only ever talk in class. From what I know,they dont have masc friends aside from me
    and they themselves are seeking masc guys.

4. mangotree

What makes you think he's straight? Could you find out for sure?

I guess the problem is that "masc" guys are more gayly invisible until you delve deeper. Perhaps that's the reason that other gay guys don't approach you in the real world that much as well. (I have this problem too)
    Can you think of any ways that you could make your orientation and interests more obvious for guys that are hesitant to approach you?

Does your gym have a jukebox? A guy at my gym always puts Kylie, Kelly, Cher, Madonna etc.. on - I think perhaps he's trying to let everyone there know he's gay.
    Or does your gym have classes? like yoga or bodypump? Don't ask me why - but they seem to attract more women and gay men than anyone else.

(*hug*)

5. legitawesome17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I actually creeped on his Facebook through my friend who knows him personally.
    His likes on Facebook suggests he's straight and he dated a girl 2 years ago.

#5 legitawesome17, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  6. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i always crush on your threads oh well i wont argue with you this time you can't help what attracts you
    just like he told you masc guys aren't much open about themselves as others well at least what i know and thats why people won't guess they are gay
    if you really like him try being his friend and see for yourself you will get some sings if you try to be close friend and act more friendly than others usually do with a friend he will get the point if he was gay
    and if he was straight it would be ok too
    does he look at you or made any moves or might say hi to you etc.....? if so what are you waiting for !

7. legitawesome17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks Joshy and sorry for being mean yesterday. And the awkwardest thing happened yesterday. Yesterday although I was on here I was actually in the gym and i was just on my phone. As I was typing my replies, when I looked up he was right in front of me doing Chin Ups lol.

#7 legitawesome17, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  8. Hyaline

Oddly, I fall into that "too straight appearing to be noticed". I did everything I could to be noticed. And the various websites and such were little or no help except to frustrate me because the people I met weren't the types that I was attracted to. To this day, I've never been approached by another guy in a public place.

Maybe you need a more subtle hint? Something people have to look for an pay attention to notice. I used to have a set of rainbow colored rings on my keyring hoping that would help. Not sure it ever did what I hoped. Perhaps too subtle. As I've gotten older, I've found that eye contact has quite a bit to do with it. If you catch your glances being returned, you are more likely to have found someone at least a bit interested. There is always the "you look like someone I used to know" line as well.. Cheesey, but it helps you stay neutral in case the guy isn't really that receptive..

9. CarterSilver

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I also live in Alberta :grin: I kind of know how you feel. I'm not out to anyone but there is one guy I like that's obviously straight and my friend which would make things very awkward :frowning2:

10. legitawesome17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Get out im actually from Edmonton but moved to Calgary.If only we met 2 years ago lol.

#10 legitawesome17, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  11. CarterSilver

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Oh cool, im in Edmonton now :slight_smile:

12. Tenerife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    For months I've never spotted anyone from Alberta here but there's THREE here now - cool! (&&&) I was born in Manitoba but moved, so Im in Calgary as well and coincidentally I just graduated high school too. Hi-five :smilewave
    Anyhow, I'm pretty much planning on waiting for Uni as well because all high school brought me was a 2 year long love-coaster with a straight guy -_-. More options open up at 18 years and you have to take some time to really delve into all of them I guess.

#12 Tenerife, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  13. CarterSilver

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yay for Alberta :grin: that's true on it getting easier after 18 I'm assuming. It would be so awkward for my friend if I told him I like him :frowning2:

14. Tenerife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Easier, but still not easy! :eusa_doh: Generally the gay/bi guys that put themselves out there aren't looking for much more than sex and these are the guys I'd imagine you'd find on apps. Real relationship material is tough to come by, sadly. Although Ill gladly be friends with them, I'm not attracted to fem guys either & that's such a problem when it comes to trying to find someone while out and about (gym, mall, theatre, transit, etc) - you see someone that catches your attention but then realize that they're probably straight and it kills motivation to approach him... happens way too often :dry:.

15. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whenever I read these threads I realize how fortunate I was to have spent my main out and single years in the gayborhood. Seriously, the neighborhood I lived in in my twenties you assumed guys were gay until they gave you an indication they weren't. I guess it made things a lot easier...