1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When are you going to get a girlfriend?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by IG88, Jun 16, 2014.

1. IG88

Once again my parents are pressuring me to get a girlfriend. It's more than a general interest "oh so do you know any girls you like?" ... it's more like a "when are you going to get a girlfriend?!" Why do they care if I date anyone at the moment? I'm perfectly fine not dating anyone right now. And this topic comes up once every other week it seems. How do I get them to shut up about it?

Seriously, I feel like telling them it's none of their :***: business who I date and when I date them. But I need a nicer, but firm, way of telling them it is none of their concern and to let me handle it, and to stay out of my business. They're not the ones going to date my future gf/bf, I am.

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I see that, I automatically think: "When I want to."

You can branch off of that, if you want.

"When are you going to get a girlfriend?"
    "When I want to. I just haven't met the right person yet."

Or something along those lines.

Good luck. It really sucks to be pressured into a relationship. You just can't rush these things.

3. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

This statement irritates me even when my sexuality is respected and they ask about my prefered gender just because I'm not interested in dating right now.

And besides rushing to get in relationships just because of age, is never a good thing.

4. birdking

yeah that is very frustrating!

My parents have pretty much given up on the whole "significant other" thing for now, but they're still convinced I'll want to have children eventually haha

5. mangotree

I wonder if they realise that relationships don't just fall into people's laps on a daily basis.

I'm sure they're only doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, not wanting their boy to be lonely.

Perhaps just say something like "I'll start dating (again?) when I'm ready" or "I'm happy being single at the moment" or "I don't need someone to complete me".

Peace!

6. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could ur focusing on ur studies or say ur not mature to handle a relationship?

7. Jethro702

My parents used to ask that a lot... I never gave a solid answer. They don't seem to ask as much now, though they still say "When you get married.... blah blah." and I never really reply to that either.

8. kyrtap

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Since I am not out to my family it bothers me a lot when they say that. Most of the time it's something like "you need to find a nice girl, and settle down and blah blah blah". It's even worse when they try to set me up with some girl... I can't stand it. Most of the time I just leave in the middle of the conversation so I don't get to upset.
    As far as suggestions on what to tell them, I like all the previous comments. Good luck and don't let them get to you :wink:

9. Wolf123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I feel the same way. People are nosey too so some people may ask me who I like and to be honest I will say no one, since I don't technically feel like being with anyone.

10. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My mom's favorite thing to say to me is "how are you going to ever find a wife?" and I don't think I've ever actually answered the question. I'm really hoping that one day she'll just give up on that and ask if I'm gay. I can't bring myself to start the conversation, but I will tell the truth if asked.

11. IG88

I thought about multi-quoting but too many to bother. The "how do you expect to get a girlfriend when you don't talk to girls" gets old real fast. I think I'll try out the "I'm not looking for anyone right now ... I'll date again when I'm ready" etc..

I hope they don't try and set me up with anyone ... I in fact hate it when people volunteer me for anything without my permission.

I also hate it when my mom probes questions like "were there any cute girls at [insert any public place I go]." Most of the time, no. The ones that are cute already have boyfriends; or one of them had rejected me, which lowers my self esteem, and makes me not want to sound desperate by asking other girls out when I don't even feel like it.

Great replies everyone, thanks!

12. lezbhonest

I feel ur pain, i am a lipstick feminine lesbian, and i am disowned from my family if i am gay because my mom is super against it. It sucks, and she keeps pressuring me when am i gonna get a boyfriend, Ugh but i dont want a boyfriend! Lol! :frowning2:... i just have to lie :frowning2: it sucks...

13. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

"when are YOU GONNA GET A GIRLFRIEND, MOM?!?!?!!"

14. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hate getting asked these sorts of questions. All of my life, I have been asked these types of questions, from largely my family members, which is odd since I wasn't even allowed to date when I a kid. Very recently, my grandmother acted like she was trying to match make me up with this young guy, whom I was not interested in and found to be extremely creepy…

That ship has yet to thankfully ever set sail.

I always tend to panic when I get asked these sorts of questions because, I never know how to answer. God forbid, if I ever admit that I am not attracted to a certain male. I'll always get questions from people demanding to know why I don't find this male to be attractive and then, I'll get asked what my type is… (etc.) *sigh*

I wish people could mind their own business and not ask these sorts of questions. I wish society in general didn't put so much pressure on people to get themselves into relationships.

---------- Post added 18th Jun 2014 at 02:03 AM ----------

I have found saying that I am much too busy to date at this point in time, or something else along those lines, can work but not always. As soon as you are seemingly free on time, you are bound to get questions like these asked again.

15. Yosia

My mum used to ask me questions like that. Also if i was ever speaking to a girl she would ask 'is that your girlfriend?' It was really annoying.

16. Tenerife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It might not actually be what you feel, but anything other than a simple straightforward "Oh, Im just not interested in anyone right now" will probably only encourage their curiosity :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. Just be that straightforward; sound firm about it without getting wishy washy and don't give them any material to question about.