1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Don't Know What To Do

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Domo, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Domo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    *sigh* I'm a 19 year old girl and I don't know what to do.
    I have an extremely religious family who do not believe in homosexuality, they believe it is a major sin, and a way of defying God. Explains why I've been terrified to come out to a lot of them. So over the last year or so I've been slowly coming out to a few cousins and siblings and I came out to my parents but neither of them are very accepting of it. To make things worse I came out saying I'm bisexual but I honestly believe I'm a lesbian. My attraction to guys has gone way down and it wasn't that high to begin with.
    The people I would love to talk to about my issues are the one's who are least accepting, therefore I have no one to really talk to. My mom is my best friend but this is one topic we can never touch and it hurts. I fear that what I want most will never happen, I would love to be able to bring a girl around my family or to just be in public with a girl without the fear of it making its way back to my family. Since I don't see this happening anytime soon I haven't really been dating or talking to anyone for awhile now.
    I tried talking to a girl and I think I scared her off when I told her my family was religious and didn't believe in homosexuality, since then I kind of cut off all tied to any potential relationship :icon_sad:
    I guess what I'm looking for is someone to talk to or someone who has experienced this.... Honestly I do not know what I'm looking for proving I need help and a listening hear more than anything :help::help::icon_sad::help::help:

2. softbutch5765

I'm sorry to hear that, Domo. It must be hard to be in your position. Unfortunately, if your family strongly disagrees with it, there's no way of making them all fully accept it. Or rather, it will take a long time before they even develop 'tolerance' about the issue. There's a difference between tolerance and acceptance and most people with strong faith in their anti-gay religion will only be able to do the tolerance part.

The best way to overcome your problem is to just move out and live independently in another city. Since I don't know what your age is, if you think you're already financially capable to do so, then you should get out of there. If not, then hang in there and wait for the right time to do so. In time, hopefully, your family will eventually acknowledge your sexual orientation.

You can also go rebellious, but if your family lives in a conservative community, it will be quite messy. If you ever need someone to talk to, me and the whole EC community are here for you. )

---------- Post added 19th Jun 2014 at 01:58 PM ----------

I've also dated a girl with a conservative & religious background as well. The most difficult part in such relationship is on making her family acknowledge our relationship. Thus, we were plagued with constant arguments, family problems, etc. Especially that we were teenagers that time, it was more difficult to get the adults respect us for who we are. We eventually broke up, because she was weak in defending our relationship to her mom. (But then she had another lesbian relationship with a girl - who was my bestfriend). Backstabbing bitch. LOL.