1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I came out to my Aunt today!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by FireRose2071, Jun 19, 2014.

1. FireRose2071

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My very Catholic Aunt, who turns out was really cool with me being a lesbian :grin: Her response started off awesome; "So? You're an adult. Just so long as you're happy, healthy, and you and another consenting adult do what you want, it's none of my business."

Yaaay~!

But then....she went on to say that "marriage is a sacrament invented by the church", and that non-Christians and gays can't and shouldn't get married, but they could have civil unions. >.< Oh, come on....

I told her I could see it from her point of view (I could), and I didn't want to argue. But still...

Man. Now I kinda understand...
    She said that gay people were shoving their sexuality down people's throats (really?), making all these issues "gay issues" when it was an IRS issue, or a tax issue, or an insurance issue. She also said how we wanted "special rights", and I tried to tell her, no, we want equal human rights. Some same sex couples can't adopt their own children (saw this thing in the news about how these two fathers, who biologically father each of their twin children, couldn't adopt each others' child, really sad :frowning2:), and she said, "Oh yes you can, it happens all the time."
    Gah. What do??

2. softbutch5765

Well, I would agree that 'marriage' is a actually something invented by the church. And probably any catholic would be offended about gays 'marrying'. However, the confusion is... gays 'marry' because we want equal rights just like the straights. And when we talk about rights, the term should be 'civil union'. People usually just use the term MARRIAGE for CIVIL UNIONS, because that's the general term for any ceremony that binds two people romantically. It's probably just a difference in how we see some specific terms in our vocabulary?

3. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Marriage is match made in heaven :slight_smile: don't listen to ur aunt she's ignorant I fully support the lgbt community and I'm muslim.

4. FireRose2071

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But that's wrong. Marriage wasn't invented by the church. It's been around since the pagans. Do you know how many ceremonies, notions, traditions and ideas the Catholic Church stole from the pagans?
    I wholly believe that gays should get equal rights as everyone else. We should be able to marry, put our spouse on our insurance, file taxes jointly, adopt each other's children, have both parents' name on their child's birth certificate, and so on and so forth.

5. Phoenix Rising

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The whole problem is that the church thinks they can make up these rules and laws as if they are the government. Wrong. It's called separation of church and state. People have the freedom to follow (or not follow) any religion they choose. As a result, it is completely illogical for one particular religion to try to control anything. Religion is there for people who need a support system, or feel the need to believe in something greater than themselves, but it is not for everybody. Equal rights need to be applied by the government, not the church. The church does not run the country (though sometimes I think they actually think that they do, lol) I myself, however, do not look to other people to give me equal rights, or allow me to be happy. That comes from within. Sure, equal rights would be nice and all of that, and I've love to see gay marriage legal in all 50 states someday, but no matter what happens, as an individual, I'm going to do what I want, I don't need government or religious approval. And that's my two cents :slight_smile:

6. FireRose2071

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Phoenix Rising Totally. I am so for separation of church and state, it's insane how they think they (the church) can control people.

7. butHitlerisDead

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with your aunt to a certain extent. Marriage, as a sacrament in the church, doesn't necessarily have to be inclusive to same-sex and non-Christian marriage. Why? Because it's a sacrament of the religion, and if they view homosexuality as a sin, then no one can or should force them to include same-sex marriage (nor do I think anyone is). The problem is people are not upset about whether same-sex marriage is allowed within the Christian faith, but within the US government. This is completely unrelated to religion at all because the US is a secular country. Marriage, as recognized by the government, is not the same thing as the sacrament of marriage within the Catholic (or any other denomination) church. Marriage is not a human right either. It is a privilege (assuming you think government-recognized marriage is a good thing). However, it is still discriminatory to give that privilege to only the majority, and not other minority relationships, especially when there is no reason to think that same-sex couples (or even those in a polygamous relationship if you want to go that far) can't raise healthy children or that it is a toxic environment or something. I'm not sure what the term "special rights" means. If it is "special," or only applied to certain groups it is a privilege, not a right. If it is a right, then it applies to everyone for the sole fact they are human. Marriage, of which, is not one.