1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is he gay/confused/bisexual, or am I just crazy?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by McShuggles, Jun 19, 2014.

1. McShuggles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey guys! This is my first post here, and to be honest the reason I joined was because I feel like I desperately need help. And forgive me if this seems like just a childish fantasy to you. Sometimes I feel the same way myself, ha!

OK (and this is going to be quite long so please bare with me), it all started in February, I am an avid World of Warcraft player, and I was talking to a friend of mine on Skype, so he introduced me to his friend, this boy I had never met before so he was completely new to me, the thing is, we became fast, fast friends...OK I'll skip to the important part --

OK, so over the course of a few months of getting to know this boy, I had actually developed feelings towards him (I know it's over the internet and Skype, it's a joke, right?), but I genuinely feel something for him. We have Skyped/talked/texted/Facebook'd virtually every day since February, so basically I ended up telling him that I felt something for him, and of course, he denied me. Trust me when I say though that I felt as though he felt the same way. Another month or 2 passed and again, I ended up telling him how I still felt this way -- of course he denied me again. But still, I had my reasons as to why I even continued to like him. And now we are on June. Oh, and please be aware I am not talking about "love" or anything extreme, as we have never met (although both of us have expressed how much we want to meet each other on numerous occasions), I just feel deeply attracted to his personality and having saw him on camera and him seeing me, he turned out to actually be extremely attractive also.

So now we're here, 19'th of June 2014, my birthday was on April and for my birthday he bought me a top (one which I covet, btw). And yes, I am still feeling this way towards him, only now it is different, I haven't told him yet, according to him I have moved on (I think). But the thing is, I feel like he likes me now more than ever. Over the past 3 weeks, things have really changed, we flirt with each other a lot now, I've saw him in just a t-shirt and briefs, and I have openly told him I found it hot (in a flirtatious way), as to which he agreed with me, obviously...He knows what I think of him and how much I admire his assets (his arms etc, not what you're thinking, you dirty little audience member!), and he openly flirts with me about it when we're alone, but not when we're with other people. We act properly like 'just friends' when other people are around -- or at least I think we do, but 2 of my friends have also told me we act like we're in a relationship already and that we would make a good gay couple, AND THAT THEY THINK HE'S FREAKIN' GAY! ...Anyway, the things which really confuse me now is that, despite flirting with me about his 'assets' we have begun singing (and yes, here comes the idiocy) 'Love is an Open Door', from the movie 'Frozen', as to which he keeps repeating the phrase "life could be so much more with you" to me, not to mention he introduced me to his mum (cute, right?), after countless times of telling me "she wouldn't like you; she'd just be snide and bitchy towards you", of course she was the complete opposite and told me how her son is "very fond of" me and that I would be welcome if I ever came to their house.

I forgot to mention that, when we first met, he was telling me how he "genuinely cant see whether another boy is attractive or not" and that he just "looks at his sister", which I think is a completely ludicrous statement, especially more so since when I have discussed guys I have liked in the past he was quick to jump on the "he's not that attractive" train. I recall him saying to me about one boy I liked that "his eyes were all slant, and ugly". I've asked him what kind of girls he finds attractive and his answer was "I only really find model types attractive" -- funnily enough my best friend is really pretty according to him, which I keep thinking he's doing to try and make me jealous? And that a few days ago he told me he was "on the train, and he saw these really beautiful people", I thought to pick up his word choice as why not just say girls? Is it to include me? But then, I thought he never saw if guys were genuinely good looking? He's also called me handsome, and he's eluded to me that one day, and I kid you not (as immature is this is) that I could be "inside him" followed by the phrase "one day hen" (hen is a Scottish slang term used to describe a female as a term of endearment; he is from England and we call each other it like mad), we also call each other "baba, or baby", although me more than him, I must admit, and when he said to me "you are my wee baby" I laughed, which prompted the statement "why do you always laugh when I call you that?" -- was he wanting me to take it seriously? Huh? But even after all this flirting he still sometimes drops the "I like girls" bomb, albeit in a different way each time, and it's mostly after intense flirting or something along those lines. I cant help but think he's using it either as a defense mechanism, or he's just trying to convince himself that he is straight.

I should also mention the fact that he is socially awkward. He moved to school different from his friends (he used to be quite popular, in his words), he moved back and everyone had changed, he didn't really like them anymore, and so he became really lonely in school. I recall him texting and sending me pictures of him during his break just sitting in a toilet stall alone. And not to mention he is at an all boys school, and at a young age, and an all boys school, there is bound to be a good bit of homophobic behaviour going on. I cant help but think that maybe he just cant accept that he is gay because he wants to just be accepted by the people around him and society, so he is covering it up, and cant admit it to himself, even though he lets it slip sometimes, around me, and maybe even his 'friends' too...

And after all this typing, I'm finally done. I really have no idea what to make of this though, I am young myself (19) and so confused about the situation, please take me seriously when I ask for advice guys. I really need it, ha! I've never been in this situation before...:bang:

2. McShuggles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I should also mention that he sometimes makes references to us being together and has told me how I am his "wee everything", and one time I invited him to a skype call with a friend, and my friend said "Shug always talks about you" to which he replied: "Is he saying I'm gay?" And that I "have a crush on him" -- he acts like he's enjoying the fact I have one on him.

3. Blayde

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know how helpful I'm going to be in this situation, but I'll try my best. Based on everything that you've said above, I feel like he has the potential to be gay (or bisexual), however, he's definitely either in denial or closeted if that is the case. From what you said, I'm assuming that you live in different countries, which makes everything even more complicated. At this point, I feel like the best thing for you to do is to stop pressuring him about it and just be his friend. He has rejected you multiple times and continuing to ask him about his sexuality could potentially put him further into the closet (if he's in it in the first place). Due to the distance and his own personal issues I feel like it would be best for you to look elsewhere for a relationship. In the event that he does have feelings for you and actually tells you that he does, you'll have to make your own decision as to whether or not to be in a long distance relationship with him.

4. McShuggles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you for replying! And yeah, I completely understand where you are coming from. I have asked multiple people for their take on it as I understand the gravity of the situation I am in, and we are form different countries (both U.K), but I'm in Scotland and he is in England. So it's not that far, it's not like we'd never see each other; travelling isn't really a problem. Your advice is greatly appreciated though, and I think you are right: Just be friends with him and if it turns out he IS inf fact gay or bisexual, he is sure to tell me eventually.

5. McShuggles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Bump. Could really use more than just one person's opinion tbh. No matter how right the advice may have been :frowning2:

6. kev123

Hm, he's probably in denial. This sounds reeeeally gay :slight_smile:
    Why not try calling him sweety and see how he reacts? I'd just flirt even more I think.
    I don't think he'd ever admit being gay at this point. Maybe he has feelings for you romantically (I'm pretty sure he does), but couldn't feel sexually attracted to you? Who knows.
    Maybe arrange a meeting and see how everything feels when you guys actually meet in person.

7. McShuggles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is exactly what I mean! I get such different and mixed responses from different people because there are multiple ways to interpret such things...

And yeah, I have called him sweetie, I've even called him "my special boy" and he totally laughs and agrees and sometimes goes along with it; calling me baba and stuff. I think though that he thinks it is just me playing. And I think I may just be barking up the wrong tree actually as today I asked him if my little jokes make him feel uncomfortable in any way, and he said he doesn't mind it when he knows we're joking, but when I say things like them just after having a serious conversation it makes him feel awkward so I dunno...Maybe I am just barking up the wrong tree and I am just going crazy :bang::bang::eusa_doh:

8. kev123

You could ask him if he wants to meet. I think it will be easier for you to judge whether there's any chance of him loving you. Then you'll actually have a chance of getting close to him.
    As long as he says he's not gay, I wouldn't get my hopes up too much, I guess.

9. McShuggles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, I want to badly, even if he's not romantically inclined towards me in any way, we are the best of friends and I wouldn't feel bad about being second best, ha! He's also never even properly been introduced to a girl, so I guess he's longing for the opportunity - which I've told him I'd help him with. We've discussed meeting before and both expressed how much we would like to meet each other (and once I finish college I plan to move down to London anyway to pursue my career, so it's not like we're never going to meet anyway..). The chances of us actually meeting are really high, it's just a matter of time. But like you said, I wont get my hopes up as he's saying he's not gay so that is what I should be going on.

10. Mane92

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    hello McShuggles. :slight_smile:
    Reading your post made me recall my own past with the guy I had a crush on (not online though). I myself can't quite understand how a guy could act all flirty and not have honest feelings. But unfortunately I was a victim to a misunderstanding which led me to be distant from *my crush*, even as a friend. The most important fact is to clearly understand his personal background before moving onto the next level. It doesn't come easy I know. But getting to know how he generally feels about homosexuality will give you an idea. You say you were rejected many times and I'm surprised that he got closer to you after that because the opposite happened to me. Moreover, the fact that you two only have met online pulls back things a little because the only way of knowing the genuine feelings of someone is being physically present if you know what I mean. If you are talking while sitting on a bench next to each other, holding hands, with your eyes meeting (forgive me if my romantic imaginations are overflowing :wink: ) , that would bring out the true self of a person. When you are physically away, your thoughts could mask over emotions, you'll think too much and eventually fear fills in. If you can, meet up with him and have a long day of chatting (or you could call it a date) and "see" for yourself whether he could be the *one*... Good luck!

11. McShuggles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Little update to the relationship today guys. Last night I sort of slipped and told him how he flirted with me like mad (maybe I should've wrote "it seemed" instead... too late now), and today he had brought it up a few times in a funny question sort of way like "ohh yeah cause im flirting with you right?" kind of thing. And then at the end of the night he brought it up and we discussed it and I am not very articulate when it comes to explaining how he was flirting, and he completely shrugged it off as to why he would flirt as he had no reason too. I dunno anymore haha....

12. Sarah2695

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    He does sound really gay. He also sounds like he is into you. Tough it also seems that he is not ready to admit it or make his move. By the way, you caught me...I do have a dirty mind:wink: On the subject on what you should do, I believe that time can only tell. Perhaps in time he will finally realize himself and his attraction to you and how perfect of a couple you would make. Anyways, that is my two sense. Good luck!

13. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree with Sarah, he sound like he could be gay, but probably not out/comfortable with it or something along those lines. Unfortunately, if he is gay and not ready to face it, all you can you is be there for him when he is ready, and be open to talking about it with him. In the mean time, leave things be as they are, but don't push anything: the more you ask the less he'll face up to it most likely. Enjoy the flirting, but don't hold you breath. Treat him straight with an open mind :slight_smile:

14. McShuggles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Another quick update. We were typing to each other there, and he said "BAM THEN GEAR!" (Talking about something in-game) And I said

"............sexy
    but not as sexy as you in briefs!!"
    =))" ------------------------------- >(Like I have said before)

and he said

":slight_smile:
    Oh wait
    Don't want to flirt --------------> (since I ended up bringing it up recklessly that he flirts with me)
    So no
    Stop saying briefs Shug".

I replied with

"are you actually being serious? =)))"

and he just did

":slight_smile:"

I'm sorry but wtf does that mean? Is he meaning yes, and trying to tell me nicely? Or no? I'm such a clueless idiot when I like someone, omg. Take the hint Shug...

#14 McShuggles, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  15. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    okay.....that is pretty ambiguous....

You are not the only clueless idiot out there, don't worry!!

I guess you should see how he reacts another time? If he says that he's already told you to lay off or something, tell him you though he was just joking around last time...as seriously, can you get any more unclear???? And then you'd know, and you can justify it as it doesn't mean anything (as long as you're romantically backing off after that). He can then set boundaries of what is acceptable.

Or if he says stop saying *something* just say it again to annoy him, then he can either laugh or say "no, really". That would be clear. Maybe?

By the way, like your signature!

16. McShuggles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    OK guys, another update, but I'll be really brief...

So, I think his brother is a good looking guy, so obviously (like any other individual) I make little funny jokes and gestures about his good looking brother, and normally he handles it quite well, he'll laugh or just go silent, or sometimes even continue the joke. But last night he took it way too seriously, and instead of normally saying how we should meet, he then went on about how I'd never date his brother because his brother isn't gay, and the point of us meeting is next to nothing and then he said how the chance of US meeting is extremely low as soon as I said the chances of us meeting are high seeing as I plan on moving to London. His reasons were because he "may get a social life, or move to America" this actually hurt me a lot as I am thinking to myself "does he only speak to me because he has nothing else to do?" I said it would "probably be best if we stopped talking before we got too attached" and he agreed so I quit the call. I then called him and he said "oh he's back" to which I replied "I'm bored and it's late, there's no point in us not talking now" and he said "oh you're bored?" I answered "yeah" and he said "I'm just gonna do something else now, im not gonna go to bed, but I'm gonna do something else" and left.

This morning I got my usual 'morning text' (good morning hen") and then he said "if you're not mad at me..." I replied saying how I am not mad at him, but he should stop calling me nicknames (as I felt like just an 'acquaintance' as he calls his friends in school), and nicknames like "hen" imply that I am his friend...he then proceeded to ignore me the whole night and is still doing so... what do I do here?

#16 McShuggles, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  17. Kabuki

He's being a jerk. Ever since you told him about the flirting he has become very defensive and is making you feel bad. There is nothing wrong about pointing out someones attractiveness and he just said thoughtless things to you. I would have been very pissed, he's(from what you posted) using you as something to past the time with and that is not fair for you. I'm not saying you need to break off the friendship, but you should let him know how it makes you feel when he tells you those things and tell him to respect you as a person, because he is not doing that from my perspective.

I don't know what else to say. He's not being nice and I don't feel you deserve that kind of treatment from someone that says you are an acquaintance. You should set boundaries, he's really being a jerk.

18. McShuggles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Another quick update.

After me talking about his brother 2 days ago and him ignoring me all day yesterday (and even today now) today I was on (lets just call my friend Liam for the sake of this) Liam's Facebook and saw some pictures that normally his brother was tagged in, and his brother was no longer tagged. I tried to go on his brothers Facebook and it turns out he has blocked me. The thing is, Liam has access to his brother's Facebook and has blocked me in the past as a joke because I was joking that I liked him. But he unblocked me, and it seems that Liam has blocked me again since our dispute. I dunno if this is jealousy or he really doesn't want me to end up with his brother (which I will never as I have no inclination to whatsoever, I want him.) Or if he really just doesn't like me talking about his brother in that sense....

19. Kabuki

Wow! He really took it to heart about you finding his brother to be good looking. He is either acting over jealousy or maybe he told his brother and his brother was the one to block you. I don't know but he indeed is acting defensive in some way. I hope everything goes well for you.

20. Rumpletubb

In my opinion, he's acting like a douche. I would just tell him how i feel (not the romantic part) and say that if he just sees you like some sort of "i've-got-nothing-better-to-do"-entertainment, it's nothing you will stand for. Don't be too harsh though, it might be because he's afraid to open up because of his recent seclusion and mabey being in the closet and the flirting-remark hit too close to home.

Tell him how you feel, that you don't like the way he's been treating you, as , what you thought, a friend of his.

A comment on the situation as a whole.
    When it's a relation based on connectiong through the internet, I'd be catious. Not because he might be a creep, but because meeting a person in real life can change your perspective. I've been there and done that.
    Plus, some people (me included) need physical nearness and to feel the touch of the other person. It may not be so at the beginning, but it might creep up on you.

He does sound like he might not be straight, but since it's over the internet and the presence of a person does not exist, it's easier to for-giggles flirt.

The only advice I can really give you is to fix what's happening right now and meet him in person. Otherwise you'll probably never know.