1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused and need advice :(

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by 19rali, Jun 20, 2014.

1. 19rali

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've posted on here about this topic before, but I could really use more than one point of view. So I'm currently in the process of coming out to my family and friends. As of now I've only come out to some of my closest friends and immediate family. My family took it pretty well I guess, they still seem to think I may be just 'confused' and that I need to take more time to find myself. They did say that whatever happens they would support me. What I didn't tell them was that I have been seeing a guy who lives out of town where I go to school. He's really sweet and makes me happy. We been seeing each other for over two months now and recently we made it official. The only problem is nobody but my friends knows about this relationship. He's introduced me to his family and friends and they are all super supportive of me, and happy for him. I feel really bad that I haven't said anything to my family about him yet, and I don't want this to cause problems between us. I feel like my family accepts my sexuality, but they have always been weird about relationships. My Mom doesn't think I'm old enough to be thinking about relationships and that I should wait until I've finished school, but I'm really into this guy. I really don't want to mess up my first relationship because I'm still in the closet...any advice would be much appreciated!:help:

2. Loira

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    First, let me say that is great that your family have been supportive and that you are with someone who makes you happy.

When it comes to talking about relationships with family members I think that every family and person in it is different: some people tell each other everything, others don't. I know I have never talked about any kind of relationship I have ever have with my parents. I'm not sure why, I just don't (well, right now they don't even know I'm gay so yeah, there's that).

Just give yourself a little bit of time, talk to your boyfriend and explain to him that you just don't tend to talk about those things with them, I'm sure he will understand, there are a lot of people out there like that. And one day maybe you arrive home and just feel like talking about him and you will go to your mom and do so!

3. Zelos

Loira summed it up well :slight_smile:
    You don't have to tell your family now. Do it when you're ready, and when you think they are. I'm sure he will understand :slight_smile:

4. 19rali

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks a bunch for the advice :slight_smile: He is understanding, and I do plan on telling them about it soon!