1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My little brother...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ResidentTheatreKid, Jun 23, 2014.

1. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My little brother is 2, nearly 3. He's the youngest of 4, and is obsessed with frozen (who isn't in our household) the problem is... He wants to be Elsa.

He is very clever, and recently seems to be getting 'confused' with gender.

In that, I mean he calls himself a girl.

He can identify a girl and a boy no problem. He can point and someone and tell you if they're a girl or boy. But he calls himself a girl. And he tells people his name is Elsa.

Being a lesbian myself, I will NEVER hate on him for being who he wants. The problem is my mother.

She put on Facebook just now:
    'Henry has put on a nightie to look like Elsa ;-;'
    With a picture.
    I put 'It's cute''
    She replied 'He's a boy.'
    And then, when I came downstairs, she said 'It's as weird as it would be if you decided you liked girls when you've been straight all your life.' Or something to that effect.

To say the least I nearly fucking killed her.

At least he's got 11 years between him and I. By the time he's 5 I hope to have moved out, so if he does turn out to wish to be identified as a girl I can help.

He's my little brother (maybe sister) and I will do whatever to make sure he can be who he wants, unlike I can.

But do you think it's just a phase? He's extremely clever. I don't think he's calling himself a girl for no reason.

But here's a picture of him being Elsa. This was taken 20 minutes ago after he nicked my nightie.

imgur: the simple image sharer

His face is not blurred intentionally. He was running up his ice staircase, being one with the wind and sky.

Any help/advice is appriciated. Thank you :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 23rd Jun 2014 at 06:14 PM ----------

The comments on Facebook are this:

Me: it's cute!
    Mum: he's a boy!
    Stepdad: it's not cute, it's awful.
    Mum: I didn't let him keep it on.
    Me: he's playing about. Leave him alone.

I really hate them. If they say anything about it, I am going to tell them I'm a lesbian, pack a bag and take it to my Nan's and tell them that until they stop being so homophobic I'm staying at hers.

I might have to get up at 6 in the morning to get to school but I don't give a shit.

Nasty arseholes ;-;

2. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hope they don't tell him anything like that (as in, "You can't wear that. You're a boy."). It might make him feel even more closeted if he turns out to be trans.

It's too young to tell. Acting this way is a phase, sometimes, but other times, it's not. The only sure-to-tell way is to wait until he gets older. Until then, the best thing you can do it support him for who he is.

Also, he really is cute, haha.

4. Delirious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you talked with him? Did this begun after watching that movie or did he show a similar behavior before? Maybe he just likes the movie so much that he wants to be Elsa, and he is just playing. I'd be supportive with him. But I'd try to know when he began to feel like a girl.
    You're an amazing sister btw, good luck!

---------- Post added 23rd Jun 2014 at 03:21 PM ----------

I forgot to add:
    Yeah. You're right. He's cute :grin:

5. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It could mean anything. If he just really likes Elsa and know's she's a girl, he might just be trying to be her, rather than thinking he's a girl. I agree with Nychthemeron, that he's too young to tell. Just make sure that he knows you're okay with whatever whenever you get the chance, so he always knows he can come to you if your parents get a bit too much.

You sound like an awesome big sister :slight_smile:

6. Blayde

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just like everyone else said, I think you should continue to be supportive and eventually you will know for sure. As for what you said about telling your mother and stepfather about you being a lesbian, and moving in with your grandmother, I would be cautious about that situation. I don't really know anything about your personal life (I'm assuming you live with your mother and stepfather, and your grandmother is supportive of LGBT people), but coming out simply out of aggression is probably not the smartest choice to make, and doing so could potentially make it worse for your little brother/sister. If you decide to tell them about yourself and can move in with your grandmother, I would suggest doing so without getting into a serious argument or storming out of the house.

7. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He showed similar behaviour before, but it has become clearer since he's watched the film.

I'm probably not going to tell any family that I'm a lesbian until I'm able to be independant of them, but as a last resort, my Nan isn't exactly about to go to a gay pride parade, but she'll accept me.

I know he's too young to tell, I was just mainly angry about my mother and stepdads a reaction to it, and the way they are being nasty to the LBGT community. She wants him to be a footballer, which is why she's so worried about him being girly. I think it's really out of order to him. I believe he should be who he wants to be.

Thank you for all the lovely comments :slight_smile: I have a couple of other photos of him taken just after his bath today, he was posing as Elsa for my camera XD
    1- imgur: the simple image sharer
    2- imgur: the simple image sharer
    3- imgur: the simple image sharer
    :grin:

8. mangotree

I'm sorry to hear your parents are making a problem out of something that isn't a problem. Adults can be weird, crazy and/or a bit dumb sometimes.
    Good on you for sticking up for him.

9. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just show him plenty of support and defend him when your parents say bad things about him. At his age, it's impossible to tell if he's trans, but he'll surely figure it out later on.

10. Kabuki

OMG! He's eyes are cute!!!! He's adorable, please take care of him so that he can keep being just like he is.

Now onto the "problem" just like everyone else said, he could be trans or it might be a phase. I'll speak from personal experience here. When I was young I always played as the girl, video games... I'll use the girl; pretend we were power rangers.... I was the pink ranger or the female power ranger; pretend of being pokemon trainers.... I was Misty of Lorelei(elite four of kanto) etc, etc, etc. After giving it some thought now that I'm older, I kind of realized that it might have been a way to cope with me liking guys. Since only girls can like guys, dance, sing, etc(I thought this way because of society and gender roles) I decided that since I liked all of those things I needed to be a girl to be able to like them. Now I love being a male, I'm comfortable with my gender so what happened as a kid was most likely a phase.

Maybe this is what's happening to your brother/sister? I know everyone is different, so don't take this for certain. I think the best is to just be there for him, maybe ask him why he calls himself a girl and study his response. In the end, no matter what it is, just let him know you are there and that you love him.

11. DangerAlex

Elsa IS the main character and the one with the cool powers, so being as young as he is I'm not that surprised she's the one he wants to be and it doesn't necessarily mean anything. Having said that, if this isn't exactly a new behavior, then it's possible that he could identify himself as being female, at least on the inside. But I agree with everyone else in that only time will tell for sure.

It's sad your parents are making it into a big deal and looking down on him for it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with what he's doing. He should be encouraged to be true to himself, whatever that entails, rather than to repress who he is. He's lucky to have a sister like you looking out for him. If these behaviors and your parents' lack of support continue, you could always try the guilt trip; say something like being a parent means loving and accepting your child no matter what, even if you don't completely agree with their lifestyle, as long as it brings them or anyone else no harm.

Good luck.

12. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you guys :slight_smile:

I know it's impossible to tell right now, I know that it's unlikely he is transsexual. I was just angry at my mums and stepdads reaction :slight_smile:

They haven't said anything since the conversation on Facebook, which I'm glad about :slight_smile:

13. florence2000

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    At that age a lot of kids be what they want. It doesn't always mean that they are Trans. My brother and cousin wore dresses and wanted to be people in the other gender. Kids that age should be able to expresses themselves with no gender limits in my opinion.

14. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

i thought i was the cat from sailor moon, and lara croft, and pichu, but never was. this may be similar, or may not. unfortunately ur parents are being dumb (no offense). im glad he will have at least one positive "go to confide in" person in his life though. ur cool c: