1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Make Friends With Guys?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by bisexualkpopfan, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Hello all, I hope you're doing well! :slight_smile:

Anyways, this is for the guys (though girls who know about this can give advice too). I know this is sort of a question I should already know and I understand that males aren't that different from females, but I just want to know how do I make friends with guys? I don't want to make friends with guys simply to have "guy friends" or dehumanize them, not at all, but I feel like I've been limiting my friendships by only trying to make friends with girls, so next year, I want to change that.

However, I'm not sure what to talk about with guys - I mean, I'm sure I can't talk about the Bachelor or Justin Bieber with them - But I mean, what do guys like to talk about? And how to be friends with a guy without them thinking that I want more from them or them wanting more from me? I just don't want any awkwardness because we are different genders - I just want friends.

I'm also very shy around everyone, but I'm a little shyer around guys because I don't know how to act around them. I know that sounds crazy and I know that some guys can be really awesome, but I just want to know how I can fit in with them.

I sat with all guys at lunchtime way back in 9th grade, but I never made friends with any of them since I didn't know how to fit into their conversations. They weren't mean to me though.

So, yeah, how can I fit in and be able to become good friends with them? How can I make sure I can be friends with them without giving them an impression of liking them, because, like I said, I just want to be friends. What are some things guys are interested in? Thanks for anyone that helps! I'm sorry if this question offended some of you, that wasn't the intent ><

2. Again, I hope this question wasn't offending, was it? I'm being serious on how I just wouldn't know what to talk about with guys and stuff ><

3. DreamingLove

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I could get some advice too since I get nervous near guys :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Specialy when I like them

4. lionfood

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm friends with a lot of boys. we just talk about school stuff, and occasionally get into heated debates. Just being easygoing and friendly usually wins points! And I've never had a problem with them thinking I liked them :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. IG88

Talk to guys about:
    Favorite sports team, tv show, video games, motor cross/racing, paintball/airsoft, music, working out, hiking/nature, etc. Things you both have in common, or at least find interesting when the other is talking about things.

Don't be afraid to tease each other in a friendly way. Guys typically don't hold grudges as much as girls do, so it's ok to tease, as long as you know each other well enough.

How to let them know you're not interested:
    Drop in words like calling them bro, man, dude, you're a good friend etc. Don't be overly interested in one particular guy when in a group setting, show friendly interest in everyone. Hint that you're not looking for a relationship right now. You could also mention that you prefer to treat guys your age as brothers (there's a Bible verse about treating others like brothers or sisters, and fathers and mothers; I think it's in Timothy).

That's all I got for now, give me a specific situation or conversation and I can help further. :slight_smile:

6. Haha, where there is a lot of good advice below, which I have to give a big thanks to everyone who answered^^

---------- Post added 2nd Jul 2014 at 09:39 AM ----------

Oh okay, I can do that - And I kind of like debating so that's a plus haha xD Thank you so much for your answer! :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 2nd Jul 2014 at 09:41 AM ----------

Oh my goodness, this actually helped a lot - Thank you so much!! I appreciate it a lot^^

7. wanderinggirl

8. vamonos

OMG just be yourself. Some guys will like you, others not. You have to assert yourself in two ways. First, you have to let a guy know you're available as a maybe possible friend. Go step-by-step. Second, you have to be firm in rejecting guys you don't want to talk with. Just say no.

I'm an ancient old man living in Mexico and I have "only friends" females who are 18-23 or so. They don't worry about what I like. We do ordinary things like everybody does to pass the time, like going out to eat and shopping.

You have good interests like chocolate, K-Pop and learning Japanese. There's no reason why simply being yourself wouldn't be enough. Don't try too hard.

9. Theo022

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Haha, vamonos is right, you just need to be yourself. I have lots of friends (guys) and we just talk about college, exams, sport, games, life in general how we are if we are good or not and lots of intresting topics. We could talk about music or movies or whatever and all this to a nice bar hehe. Or how we want to be after 5-10 years, with who, how many kids (young but old people hehe). First you need to see what they like and get comfy.