1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

relationship with someone older.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by silk, Jun 25, 2014.

1. silk

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm 18, he's 24.
    And well, he wants me, it's obvious, and no, he isn't a pedophile, I've read everything very carefully to make sure.

Now, do I like him? Let's just say if he was closer to my age, and if he was cuter, we would already be in a relationship.

Of course, the age difference is stopping me and making me think it's wrong, weird, shouldn't be done.
    Also: I like his personality, not really his appearance that much. He's just the normal kinda guy.

So, any thoughts?

2. BelleLey

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    The age difference is not that big, but you don't seem to like him more than that, would you really date him ?

3. silk

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, the problem is: I have fallen in love with someone I didn't find attractive at all, but than when I got to now him I started to find him cuter and cuter.

So maybe that'll happen?
    I'm more worried about the age stuff, but you're the 3rd person telling me it should be fine.
    So I'm thinking, if there can't be a problem, I'll just date him, see what happens, see if anything unfolds.

4. BelleLey

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    It's my opinion but you did say that it seemed weird, and wrong to you. If something is stopping you, making you uncomfortable maybe you shouldn't force it, you know.

5. BethLauren

It's not a huge age difference, but if it's an issue for you, and if you aren't that into him, I wouldn't go in for the relationship. You should be sure before you start, and you don't sound sure. Hold out for someone who's personality and appearance you love. Maybe just stay friends with this guy?

6. silk

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It seems less weird the longer I know him, and I think I just find it weird or wrong due to what you are though when you're a child: pedophiles and so on.
    At least I'll have him as a friend, I guess I'll see where it goes from there.
    You're right, I should be careful, consider what I really want.

7. Sig

Sig

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Smile. If its only the age difference you're concerned about, and any help, I was married at 18 to a 25 year old (for 16 years). The rest of your query I can't comment on, but I see wise advice already offered.
    Good luck

8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think this is really anything to do with paedophilia, as you are no longer a child. If he hasn't said or done anything to give you the opposite impression, you can reasonably set that aside.

As to the age difference, it isn't all that big and it certainly wouldn't matter a few years down the line, but when you are as young as you are, it can seem more significant to date someone older. You and he are at different stages in life and although he is by no means old the difference in your stages of development and maturity could prove awkward and divisive.

If you are questioning this in your own mind, I'd pay careful attention to what you are thinking and feeling. It's not that it's weird, or wrong, but you shouldn't enter into a relationship at any point in life with doubts or concerns. Clearly you have some.

9. Wilzyax

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I agree with what others here have said. If you really do love him or are in love with him there shouldn't be unsureness about it, that isn't a good sign, unfortunally. BUT you said you have learned to find him "cute" as you got to know him, which sound very assureing.

My experience is that love by apperience don't make you feel any more happy. I like to think that attraction to apperience are an illusion were you make yourself believe that you love them. Why? Because even the cutest or hottest guy or girl for that matter wouldn't make you feel happy, great or loved if they aren't clicking with you personality or are treating you well.
    I have crushed more than a few times in my short life, and what I've learned was that apperience of the person only made me feel empty, not giving me any affaction. And now, in my own life; I have gotten into someone that I don't find cute or attractive because of the looks, but I find them cute and good looking because everytime I see his face, eyes, smile and so on, I see someone I trust, and someone I feel loved by. So attraction to apperience aren't really dicided by there looks, but more of how your relationship with them are, and how you are looking upon them. So for me it sound very wrong to question a relationship with someone because they aren't "pretty" enough or aren't "good looking". I think it is very unfair and I do not hope this sound venom to you BUT; Stop reconcider your feelings for this guys because of his looks, that's just so so wrong...
    So ask yourself instead, is there anything with the personality or chemistry between the two of you that are stopping you?
    The age gap is fine I think, don't see any problems with that.
    Hope things work out, best of luck :wink:

#9 Wilzyax, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  10. PalestrinaMX

I dated a guy who was 25 when I was 18. We had no problem at all. We were both mature. It didn't work our, unfortunately, but age had nothing to do with it.

11. peonie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think the age difference is a problem at all. When you look at the UK where the legal age of consent is 16, an 18-year-old going out with a 24-year-old wouldn't surprise me at all.

I always find with age gaps it's easier to add a few decades on, then see if it sounds weird. For instance, if you were 28 and he was 34, it wouldn't seem as bad, would it?

I think the issue here is that you didn't find him attractive. Maybe you're a little surprised that you've been able to grow to find him attractive beyond his looks, so you're looking for a problem? Call me out if I'm wrong, but that seems to be the problem.