1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Closeted ex work colleague (bit different)

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by mangotree, Jun 27, 2014.

1. mangotree

There's a guy that worked with about a year ago.

He (drunkenly) came out to me and made numerous moves on me at the work christmas party.
    He was certainly attractive and charismatic, but I turned him down because he is married to a woman, has two children and belongs to an extremely conservative religion.

Being that I've had experience with my sexuality Vs religious confusion, I considered e-mailing him at work the following week to see if he needed any support or just someone to talk to about his struggles - but at the time I decided against it.
    He was also one of my team-leaders at work, so that made the idea seem extra inappropriate.
    We talked occasionally after that about normal work stuff but the christmas party was never mentioned again.

So that was all well and good, no dramas, he resigned from my workplace soon after the party (not sure if his actions at the christmas party were part of the reason).

Fast forward to present day
    He's just requested to be my friend on Facebook.
    While I'd like be a support system for him, I can't help thinking that he might have made the request for other reasons.

So, accept or deny the friend request?

2. WearyWanderer

I'd say accept the request, but if you find out about alternative motives for him making it, then just take him off. But he might need some support, like you said. Or just wants a friend.

3. Trooper

You did the right thing to reject him when he came on to you. If you didn't do anything inappropriate with him, I don't see why you shouldn't accept the friend request.

4. Rumpletubb

Accept the request, since it might only be for support or that he thinks you are a nice person. If he acts like a creep or makes moves, tell him that you are not okay with that kind of behavior from a married man and a co-worker who also are your team-leader. Proceed to unfriend him or whatever you fancy!

Doesn't hurt to see if you could help someone?