1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why am I still so bitter towards my mom?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Jared, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Jared

So when I came out to my mom it wasn't under the best circumstances, I was pretty depressed, suicidal, felt so alone and basically came out during a panic attack. It didn't go to well, she was pretty mad, she told me I was confused, just need to have sex with a girl, never to date, never tell anyone, etc. She even tried to bribe me with a Mercedes to be straight. That was over two years ago and she finally came around, well over a year later, and has even met my boyfriend, who she likes.

Despite all this I'm still extremely bitter about how she handled it, I was in a really bad place and just needed someone to be there for me and accept me. I could've dealt with her not totally being okay with it, but I just wanted to someone to tell me it was gonna be okay and that they would support me. Afterwards, I got more and more depressed thinking that I shouldn't even bother anymore, this led to a failed suicide attempt a little while after coming out. I kinda blame her for my depression getting really bad, I still struggle with it even now, and for me deciding I didn't want to live anymore. Even though she has since apologized, I still haven't forgiven her, at the point in my life when I needed someone to support me more than ever, she didn't.

2. IG88

Damn, never heard of a car bribe to be straight before! Other than that detail, your mom reacted the same way many other mothers have reacted across the globe. In fact, some LGBT people have mothers who never accept who they are, and constantly want them to change and or disownment. However, it sounds like your mom has come around. She likes your boyfriend! That's a world of difference than when she first found out.

You have to realize that when you drop a bombshell like that on someone that they're going to react in a way that's probably worse than what you were expecting. It's like dumping a bucket of ice water on someone and expecting them to act as if nothing happened.

Her reaction could've been better, but it wasn't. A good amount of time has passed, and I find it easier to forgive when there is a time buffer between now and the incident. It's tough, but so worth it when you forgive someone. Even when they have wronged you, by forgiving them it doesn't mean that you have forgotten. What it means is that while you remember what happened, you're not going to use it as ammunition during a fight with her in the future. When you forgive someone, it releases you from the grudge and with that issue off of your mind, you free up some space in your mind to focus on better things to come.