1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dad finding out I'm gay on world pride day because of my mom?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by confuseduser99, Jun 30, 2014.

1. confuseduser99

Yesterday was the big World Pride parade in Toronto. I went with a friend of mine. My dad apparently kept on asking my mom why I was going downtown at that time (when the parade was going on). My mom apparently told my dad that I was going to pride and even made a joke that maybe I was going "to find a boyfriend" (all according to my sister). My mom then later told my dad that I'm gay. I got home late last night and had to be up early for work. I haven't spoken to my dad yet, so I wonder how this is going to be later today. Not the best way for my dad to find out, but hey, he found out on a fitting day!

2. Molly1977

Depending on how your dad reacts it might be a good thing that your Mum has told him. If he is supportive of you then being honest about who you are will help him to know you better as a person. If you think your dad will not be understanding or even be violent towards you then your Mum shouldn't have said anything.

I went to Gay Pride in London on Saturday and Ian McKellen was there he gave a speech and said that Gay people should tell people about themselves and come out to everyone they feel comfortable coming out to.

I know it would have been better if you had told your Dad yourself but at least now your Mum has given you an opening to have that conversation with him. Hope it all goes well for you when you do talk to your Dad. Molly x