1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Isolation and Awkwardness

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by prettysure, Jun 30, 2014.

1. prettysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Normally I'm very closed and isolated, and I prefer to keep to myself and stay in my own little world. But doing so has made it much, much more difficult for me to be comfortable with myself in public so I tend to behave erratically around other people - lots of joking, so much so that I lose track of which part is even the joke.

So I go through long stretches of time where I don't really do much except loiter in my own head, followed by brief periods of being extremely awkwardly out-going (But not in a totally sincere way, as I always find somebody to attach myself to... and then just sort of follow them around like a pet)

Has anybody struggled with these same issues? How did you deal with it?

2. ChameleonSoul

I have the exact same problem. I mainly just keep my thoughts to myself and I really don't say much to others in conversation. Then I start to feel awkward and just blurt something into a group conversation or have "brief periods of being extremely awkwardly out-going". In the end, I've kind of just accepted that I'm an introvert at heart and that I can't change it.

3. Silas

I can definitely relate to this... super introverted, keep to myself and totally awkward in social situations (and super clumsy on top of all that!) If I decide to say something in a conversation it'll probably be something dumb that I'll regret right afterwards :lol: I would like to get out more and be more social so it's something I want to work on (don't think I'll ever stop being an introvert though!) Interacting and communicating with people online has made me a little more comfortable being open with people in person so I think being on forums like EC has been a big help with this.

4. rainshadow

i'm an introvert at heart. All the way. I work in customer service, so by the end of the day I really want to be alone. lol Though, I must say that it has helped me be more comfortable talking with people, especially people I don't know. I'm getting better.