1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have no close gay friends.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Juggalo, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Juggalo

I know precisely one gay person, a lesbro, in a different city so I never get to hang. My attempts at finding a gay guy friend have all resulted in their "falling in love with" me (their words). How does one go about finding a gaybro that won't desire sex? I feel like the entire gay subculture in my area is only about sex and not friendship.

2. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think the "hookup culture" might be the most noticeable thing everywhere. People interested in something else are there, but how does one find them? That is a question I've struggled with...

3. John2517

At least you have one, I got zip.

4. robotman

I don't know anyone that is gay or that is out to me lol. I wonder the same thing, I have no idea where to meet just gay friends.

5. tulipinacup

I don't have either and the closest I got are people online who I'm closest to which I'm not complaining about but it would really be nice to hang out with someone in real life and you know just get a coffee and talk.

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have met a few at pride parties but I'm going to try going to lgbt gatherings to get some gay and lesbian friends . I wish what was happening to you happened to me

7. the gypsy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Don't lament having the only full canteen in a desert.

8. HTBO

It's difficult to make new friends, it's like moving to a new city and you do not know anyone. Have you tried online dating? I made a friend that way. Her and I would never work in a dating relationship, however, as a friend she is invaluable. It's really difficult to make friends on those sites though, purpose is dating, but you never know.

9. all paths

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Me neither.

But this is partly why I've decided to go back (hopefully) to regular church attendance...this time to an LGBT-affirming church.

I think it's the only chance I have of meeting and having a healthy support group of fellow gaybies, other than online.

And I think that's a really important thing to have in my life right now. Some "normal" LGBT socialization & interaction. Plus, I know that at church, they're less likely to fall far outside of my general values or the path I like to try to walk in life. So, birds of a feather. Y'know?

Not that there's anything wrong with having many friends who are quite different from you. Just that I have a few of those, and now I'd like some with some more common ground.

10. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You mean that you don't think a gay bar that's also a dive offers the scope of quality people you're looking for? :lol:

Seriously, though, churches are on my list of places of possible good sources to meet people, including general friends, to quality LGBT friends, and, finally maybe Mr. Right.

The one problem is finding the right church where one can at least work with the church on a church level (theology, style of service, etc), and also has a good body of LGBT people.

11. all paths

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LOL xD No.

This - precisely.

12. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    An LGBT support group might suffice. I met my LGBT friends mostly in summer camp and I met one when I took an art course class. With the first situation, none of us were out at the time, it was many years later that I found out that most of us were in the community. The latter one, was out but it wasn't something that I knew initially.

13. Juggalo

Not having a car significantly lowers my options. Shame, since I'm twenty minutes away from Minneapolis. Damn suburbs.

14. Greeley

I don't have any gay friends either. I have 2 that are online and i look at them for advice and i am good friends with them. But none of them live near me really, a good 3 hours away. But i am like you, i want a gaybro friend irl to hang with so we can just feel relaxed. Although my boyfriend would hate it if i had a gay friend.

15. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Same here, don't have any gay friends