1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How am I supposed to go on a date when the guy can't even hold a conversation?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by johnnyr860, Jul 6, 2014.

1. johnnyr860

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mean I am no going to generalize and say all people are the same but I am pretty sure tons of people deal with this same issue too. This is the 3rd person I have agreed to go on a date with where the date ends badly because all I get from him is one worded responses and the more thought and effort I put into getting to know the man the less it happens and the more awkward it becomes when he gives me his one worded responses.

Worse thing is I eventually run out of things to talk about so then it becomes awkwardly silent. My ex used to talk so much you couldn't pay him to shut up and this was good cause I love a man who can talk me to death it shows me he is interested in me and we have a lot to discuss but a one worded response is the quickest way to kill a date for me and beg for there not to be a second one planned. What do I do here?

2. robotman

The probably isn't with you then dude. It is with the person that is giving one word answers/responses... There is nothing you can really do about that, I guess you just have to keep going on dates with until you find a guy that chats alot :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

3. Hyrule Wayfarer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This can be so frustrating, I have recently experienced this and it can be so awkward. :rolle: I recently went on a date with a shy person and it can be difficult. I suggest you try and not take it too personally. Maybe text them and see if they talk more when you aren't in person, thats what I tend to do. If they are talkative by text i'll usually wait for them to ask me on a second date, sometimes it happens sometimes it doesnt. (*hug*)

4. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess my question would be: where are you meeting guys that you are agreeing to a date before you know if they can carry on a conversation? I mean I guess what you are describing has never happened to me because the ability to carry on a conversation was always pretty much the main qualification to make it through to actually getting a date with me. I guess my suggestion would be to meet people in contexts where you get to speak with them for a while before expressing any kind of interest.

5. tulipinacup

I do think this is not a problem of yours but him. If he is really interested in you then I think the conversation should be fluid even though it's a topic that you guys can't relate to because either one will find a way to carry out the conversation.

Is he naturally shy or introverted? Is he comfortable with the place you guys are hanging out with? My ex-boyfriend is the same with yours but he's never had problems with me not talking a lot because he respects my introversion and he finds a comfort from it but enough about me, I think being honest about how you feel would set things straight, try asking if he's really interested in you and may be you may find some reasons why he's acting like this