1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you make LGBT friends?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Hyrule Wayfarer, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Hyrule Wayfarer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey guys I was really looking for some advice on this. I don't have any gay friends and not many straight ones either so I feel quite isolated. I am a 21 year old lesbian and ive not had my first girlfriend yet. I was wondering how did you go about making lgbt friends? :help:

I tend to go to gay bars and clubs, but I only find myself meeting people who want a one night stand or if I meet someone who doesn't want that they will try and pursue a relationship. These 'relationships' always tend to be very short lived flings and I really want advice to stop this happening and to just make some actual friends. I do really want a girlfriend, so I am always welcoming of these flings. I did go to a LGBT youth group in my area when I was younger but everyone was so tight knit and clicky I struggled to make friends.

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think you really have to do anything special. I met mine like you would meet anyone else - I was an awkward nerd and she had to move away from the popular end of the table because of some reason I don't seem to remember. We then became friends, and it just so happens she's bisexual.

Perhaps you can try the LGBT group again? You're older now, and it may be different.

3. mangotree

Maybe look for other gay adult groups in your local area:
    Sports teams/competitions
    Camping groups
    Social groups
    Singing groups
    Theatre groups
    Just think about all the stalls that you see at pride events, they're LGBT groups that usually anyone can join.

Not fantastic these days, but you could try some of the online dating sites/apps but specify that you're only looking for friends. Just make sure you follow all of the safety guidelines.

RE: Going to bars and clubs
    It might help to make a decision about what you want the most.
    Your intention sets your direction.
    If you really just want to make friends (and maybe have a relationship develop from there) then give out a clear message that you just want friends.
    If you go out expecting to "pick up" each time, then there's usually a low chance that you'll find friends.

That's all I've got at the moment.

4. Hyrule Wayfarer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I do know people make friends naturally like you did, but I feel like i've been hoping for years for that to happen to me but just hasn't. Thats why I feel like I should make a special effort. I'm too old to attend that group now, its a youth group for 11-18 year olds.

5. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mangotree had good suggestions. I think going to a LGBT pride event or parade will be an excellent time to try to make friends. Most people there aren't trying to hook up, I don't think.

6. Hyrule Wayfarer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks i'll have a look and see if there are any more groups in the area. I'm not really sure how to say to people on nights out that i'm just looking for friends without seeming abit full of myself. Its something i've always found difficult to word.

7. Wolf123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    To be honest, it just happened. There isn't a specific way. I met a few people at work who I found were also LGBT. I was the one hiding it, while everyone else just let it be known lol. After awhile one person asked me if I was into girls and I said yes. It is weird because I didn't realize there were so many where I lived. I then went to a gay bar with a few people and one friend; which was fun. I felt accepted and honestly nervous because I am not used to it. However, the one friend is trying to help me which is nice :slight_smile:

8. DaniLM

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ah I'm so glad you posted this!! Been having similar issues with meeting others. Perfect timing :grin:

It sometimes happens naturally and you just happen to meet someone who is lgbt if you're in a situation that involves being in a group of people. Also, there's through mutual friends, say, a friend could have an lgbt friend/relative?

Ah good luck anyway, it's awful to feel isolated with it all.

9. Hyrule Wayfarer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: I kinda wish it would happen naturally, but yeah its not happened yet. It doesn't help that my friends aren't very supportive and refuse to come with me to gay clubs :icon_sad:

10. ABeautifulMind

This is a good thread to start. It is hard (for me atleast) to spot anyone else who is LGBT unless they are the stereotype.

Not to mention, being from the south we are already a severe minority.

I have only had one LGBT friend my entire life, and I have only known 2. And the one I was friends with I knew he was because he was flamboyant as fuck... the whole limp wrist, snapping his fingers, saying, "no way girlfriend." He was funny. But the reason I quit hanging out with him is I found out he was NOT trustworthy. He never betrayed my trust. But damn near anyone who trusted him he did. I guess I never gave him the chance to betray my trust lol.

Not to mention the annual pride rally just happened like last month. I was considering going there. I live near a big city so I got on the net looking around for something and found squat. They have something at my school, but I am not going there. I was thinking of going to another school though. I found one with an LGBT in the city.

11. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

good question :<