1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does my friend keep saying things like this? Is he trying to be hurtful?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by speechless1, Jul 7, 2014.

1. speechless1

A while back, I came out to my closest friend, he said he was completely fine with it, and even hugged me afterwards.

Pretty recently, though, he's been saying things that kind of come off as mean spirited. For example, we were at the gym today and he asked me if I was watching him, so naturally said "Yeah, I'm watching you" and then he said "I bet you are watching me, you sick freak". He acts like he's just joking, but it just feels... I dunno, kinda insulting. It doesn't help that there was one time where he tried to get me to 'admit' that women were better looking than men.

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some people have an odd sense of humor. It's possible he just thinks it's funny, and he doesn't think it offends you.

That's when you have to tell him to stop. Say, "Hey, man, can you lay off on the jokes? It's insulting."

If he's a good friend, he'll stop then. Otherwise, I think we have a whole 'nother problem here.

3. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you talked to your friend about your feelings?
    If he's your closest friend, you should ask him if he's truly okay with you being gay because some of his comments lately have made you feel like he's not.

It may be awkward, but if you express concern and he's truly your friend, the situation should resolve itself relatively easily.

Agreed with Nychthemeron.