1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signs of Denial

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by jpaxton, Jul 11, 2014.

1. jpaxton

jpaxton Guest

Are there any classic signs that someone is denying their sexual orientation?

I know homophobia is one but are there any more signs that are perhaps a little more subtle?

Not looking for a check list per se, but maybe some common reoccurrences you've seen from experience.

2. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    They hate being told their a certain sexual orientation . This isn't always the case but sometimes it is. They are always on the defensive and will lash out at any one that doesn't tell them what they want to hear. They will accuse others of being judgemental or bigoted, when they were not and for not agreeing with them
    That's some of them
    The best way to spot them is their usually on the attack

#2 stocking, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  3. wanderinggirl

There are a variety depending on the person.
    Here is my very very non-expert opinion, feel free to disagree:
    -Being overly picky when it comes to dating, about shallow/stupid things
    -Avoiding contact with members of the same sex, or initiating contact with the same sex but passing it off as a joke (it sounds contradictory; basically, however reading way too much into physical contact manifests itself.)
    -Not being able to fantasize about same sex
    -Anger/jealousy when a close friend starts dating someone
    -Constantly shipping same-sex characters on tv shows (ok that one is just me!!)

4. ABeautifulMind

Constantly shipping same-sex characters on TV shows?

what does that even mean? lol

The contact one is good though. It is always one extreme or the other. When I was in denial I was the always touching. But I know some do the never touching.

I dont have any to add, I really just posted because I didnt know what that tv character one meant :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Experiencing same sex attraction and being aware of it, but deliberately pushing it aside in an attempt to shift the focus back onto the opposite sex.