1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I fight with my brother almost every day?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Seanathan, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Seanathan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I fight with my brother a lot: almost everyday. For as long as I can remember. I am 17, he is 15. When I was a kid, I bullied him, and tried be the bossy older brother. I was cruel, and eventually though probably too late learned this is wrong. Are fighting turned from me bullying him, to us just physically fighting with each other around middle school age. Now we just bicker. Now as he goes through puberty, as I try to be nicer, we're still snarky and mean together. An awkward unspoken peace of "if you don't bother me I won't bother you." Sometimes we get along, but then the next day it's a totally different situation. I get frustrated because I try so hard to be nice to him, but no matter what I do and say it never changes anything . No matter what we fight about, our parents think we're both wrong and say we are embarrassing and always tell us they don't fight with their siblings. I would love to be friends with my brother, but now I think he hates me and just hides it. He acts like he wants nothing to do with me, acts really tense, and annoyed , and always gives me short responses. He always disagrees, never compromises, never wants to do things with me, always criticizes me but never compliments: he even looks down on me because I recently came out, and sees me as a weak gay nerd, which leads me to have a short temper with him and frustration. I know I can't be alone with him because I know one wrong thing I do will start a scene. I'm equally to blame here. I'm just not sure what to do. I'm a fussy controlling person at times and so I know this is really
    My fault. I'm the oldest, I should lead by good example. But I fail and just fight with him. Idk if we'll speak to each other when were older. Help?

2. ABeautifulMind

This sounds like a bit of over active sibling rivalry.

Every heard of brotherly love? I bring it up because in my opinion, your brother loves you. He might not like you, but that can be worked on.

You know him well, he is your brother. What are his hobbies and interests? Spend time with him and make it apparent you are trying to become friends.

It may take time, but he will come around. I might consider having a talk with him depending on his age, and basically say exactly what you posted. Tell him I know you started it, but damn it we are guys, not chicks, we get mad and drop it, women hold grudges [/sexist remarks] Im sorry to put it like that, but surely people have heard women dont get mad they get even? Well joke around like tht with him and have a talk. I bet he will respect you as a bigger brother for being willing to take the first step. In fact tell him your willing to take the first step.

Bottom line is not to just give up, it sucks when you let the relationship with a brother die.

3. Hyaline

Sounds like normal brothers to me.... (I have two much younger brothers). My sister is 2 years younger than I am her and I used to do the same crap.

It is totally normal. I'll give you what happens with most siblings, not all, but most. Growing up you have the same experiences, odds are, your parents let him slide a bit more than you, and he sees you as older and gets more liberties due to your age. So there is animosity there. You will never be equals. But a funny thing happens when you move out and don't see them daily. You begin to miss them. In a way you miss your bed or some other fixture in your life. They fill a place for both of you. Your common experiences bond you in a way even friendships can't replace. My sister and I can have a whole conversation just looking at each other. Probably due to us fighting so much as kids, now we can read each other very easily. And truthfully, we both have our moments of driving the other crazy even now in our late 30s.

One thing you might try if you want to defuse the situation is to walk away when you start to get angry or short. If you feel the need to burst out, get up and walk away. And don't let him bate you with getting in the last word. It's too easy for things to escalate. Or take a few deep breaths and count to 10 before responding. I also like ABeautifulMind's suggestion about not acting like chicks. (Yeah, sorry girls for the sexist comments, but some of you are crazy...) Build up the bond between you and focus the blame elsewhere...

Ultimately, though, most siblings come around in time. I wish I had spent more time with mine and have been working to remedy that...

4. This. This is so true. My brother and I would fight about stupid stuff all the time, our parents thought we'd stopped fighting, but the truth was that we just learned to do it when they weren't around and both of us were too smart to go tattling to our parents our we'd both be in trouble.

It was like that between my brother and I until I moved away to the dorms. We've been pretty much cool ever since.

You honestly could try talking to him about it though. I never did try that, I just moved away and when I came back everything was better because we weren't together all the time.
    But you could bring it up and tell him all that stuff you told us--that you know it's partially your fault as well that you two fight and that you know you used to tease him and hurt him but you're sorry and you want to work it out and be friends.

There is something to be said about maturity here too, the reality is, even though you're only two years older, the gap in maturity between 15 and 17 is pretty big. It could be that you might need to wait for him to grow up a little bit to see things your way. And, sometimes (like in the case with my younger brother, the younger sibling gets into the habit of picking fights with the older one because that was the only way they could get attention from the older sibling when they were kids...) In the meantime, you can always refuse to rise to the bait, just don't fight him. If he hurts your feelings or screws you over, you can say that, but if you practice letting it go as long as it's not a big deal, you're more likely to get through to him if it is a big deal. Pick your battles, and he'll see you doing that and perhaps emulate it.