1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobic parents?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by TrueColors, Jul 13, 2014.

1. TrueColors

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So, my grandmother, mother, and uncle are always bashing how they hate Obama because of supporting gay marriage and stuff and how much they hate all of that. I just want to slap them sometimes, but they don't know I'm pan... And it offends me. What do I do?

2. AngerAndAgony

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, there are a couple ways to handle it. You could come out if you think they'll be supportive. Or you could grin and bear it. Or you could stand up without a reason, or say that everyone should be equal, but that could make it worse. Writing always helps me because 99 percent of the people I know are homophobic Republicans so I have trouble talking to them. Music could help too. Two years until Obama is out of office, depends what you do then and what happens as well. Hope this helps.

3. idream

idream Guest

Omigod my family's the same way. I get so angry sometimes. They wanted to boycott starbucks because they support. I'm getting up the nerve to just come out and relish their reaction...of course, I have a back up plan that should work. I hope things work out for you!

4. ABeautifulMind

You are still young so I am not sure if you think your capable, or not. However I have found that as I got older and began defnding LGBT rights whenever it was brought up, my parents have stopped trying to bash them so much. In fact I can not remember the last homophobic thing they said. It is usually pretty easy to defend them, I mean they are simply civil rights. And if the ask why you ccare and you dont want to come out, just tell them you hae a gay friend and them bashing gay rights offends you. You think your friend deserves those rights.

5. TrueColors

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My aunts also hate gays and such. They don't like Burger King just because of the pride whopper. They are just so... UGH. :bang: