1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My dad makes a lot of homophobic comments and it's irritating me

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by tulipinacup, Jul 14, 2014.

1. tulipinacup

I seem to notice that my dad always have something to say whenever he sees a gay person on tv. It's either that he talks about how disgusting they are or how he has to question whether or not the person is gay.

I find it so irritating that when he sees someone odd-looking on tv he automatically assumes that he/she is homosexual. Even when we are conversing together as a family he would always comment on how this famous personality is gay.

I am not out at all and his homophobic comments are making me really uncomfortable but could it be that deep down he is just repressive and probably knows I'm gay that's why he acts this way?

2. Silas

My dad does this also. My mom too. They'll see someone gay on tv or someone who 'seems' gay and start making all kinds of nasty comments. I'm not out to them either but sometimes it feels like they deliberately say these things in front of me because they suspect I'm gay and are subtly trying to warn me about ever coming out.

I've tried confronting them about the comments but it's like talking to a wall and just makes them more annoyed when they see me sticking up for someone gay. When the topic comes up nowadays all I can really do is bite my tongue and leave the room.

3. Greeley

My dad used to be like this, until i told him i was gay, now he tends to avoid the topic.
    But tbf, im really not a sensitive person at all and if he wanted to say something slightly homophobic then i honestly don't think it would bother me because i know he doesn't personally mean it against me.

4. Squib

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah this is what my mum was like. It got to the point it was making me so hurt/angry that I just snapped and came out to her. Ever since she's not done it so it went well for me thankfully

5. tulipinacup

I wish I can confront with his ignorant comments but I don't want to make him seem like I know "a lot" of these things and I can't do anything but keep my mouth shut.

6. Hiems

I'm in the same boat. My brother's bosses at work are gay. He told my mom this. One day, he told her he would hang out with them and coworkers at a bar. My mom told my brother to stay with his coworkers and not be alone with his bosses because they're weird and perverted.

I was so annoyed that she made a blanket statement like that. Creepiness isn't unique to gay people. However, standing up for his bosses would make her so suspicious about my sexuality. I'd rather keep peace in the household, so I kept my mouth shut.

There are other things that I do to avoid conflict, such as reluctantly attending church with them. My rule of thumb is "their house, their rules, my house, my rules". That's why I'm dying to leave the nest once I save up enough money.