1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I blinded by love or jealousy?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by tatteredseams, Jul 14, 2014.

1. I just broke up with my boyfriend. Although it was a long distance relationship (we both live on opposite sides of the globe), we had been seeing each other for more than five years via social-networking sites and video/voice chat programs on a regular basis. He is the most compassionate man I've ever met, and otherwise holds all the perfect qualities I look for in an ideal partner (a good sense of humour, sweet, understanding).

The problem lies in his past. He used to lead a very promiscuous lifestyle, where he slept around with plenty of other guys. I don't have a problem with this. I believe he is entitled to his own private life then and I am quite happy of the fact he chooses to be so honest with me about it (although at times it seems like he's bragging :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). However, it is the inconsistencies in his explanations which worries me the most, and which ultimately led me to break things off with him today.

First, there's his ex, of whom he had a sexual, clandestine relationship with for two years prior to meeting me. I have never met him, however he talks about him so frequently in our chats that it almost feels like I have. He describes him in ways which makes me feels very uncomfortable, as if he still has strong residual feelings for his ex, with detailed descriptions of a sexual nature. Although I am bothered by it, I never allowed it to come between us. It isn't until I learn that a couple of weeks ago he has reconciled with his ex that I began to worry. The extent of which he refuses to clarify other than saying that they "kissed" but he "pulled away" before anything happened. Days prior to that, he told me that if he ever meets his ex, he knows they would have sexual relations, which enraged me. He laughed it off soon after which leaves me very confused as to whether it was a just a joke. When questioned, his justification for talking and meeting with his ex is to have somebody to talk to about "dealing" with me.

Secondly, he claimed he had only three sexual partners in the past, and I believed him. However, over the years, it becomes apparent to me that he has had much more than that and I finally confronted him about it today. We got into an arguement over semantics trying to decide what constitutes as "sex," which made me angry, and the fact still stands that he has had more than three sexual partners in his own criteria of what constitutes as sex. I notice that he also becomes quite defensive when we discuss about this topic--he begins to provide unnecessary details about their encounters. I feel bad seeing him fumble in this state.

I am doubtful of his faithfulness to our relationship. They say you are blind when you are in love--am I a fool for not seeing these as signs of cheating? The fact is, I feel as if it is an issue within myself too because I just can't get over his past relationships. I am jealous of his partners, they experienced something intimate with him that I could only dream of; they had him at his best years and he still has some strong residual feelings for at least one of them. So am I blinded by love or jealousy?

I made a half-promise to myself that this break-up will be permanent. Should I keep it that way forever? Did I do the right thing in breaking-up with him? Please offer me your thoughts.

Apologies for the lengthy explanation, I am losing sleep mulling over it tonight and I just can't bear to sleep with the thought of what happened today. Thank you so much for bearing with me this far.

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry you had to break off with him.

In my opinion, he sounds pretty fishy. You aren't wrong in doubting his faithfulness - not because of his past, but because of his current actions.

He shouldn't have kissed his ex in the first place, and to purposefully deceive you about his past partners is also pretty... sketchy.

And, perhaps you're 'blinded' by both love and jealousy, but you weren't blinded enough. You broke it up with him.

Was it a good idea?

I don't know. Only you can decide that.

Sorry for the vague and generally useless reply, but I'm sure other people will help better. Haha.

Best of luck, and I hope everything gets sorted out.

3. Hyaline

In some relationships, there are people whom are simply more jealous than others. For me, your reaction to his ex seems totally irrational. But let me explain why I think that...

In truth, there is a reason why they are no longer together. I've had feelings for my exs long after we've broken up. Sometimes because I am still attracted to them and sometimes because there is a nagging feeling in the back of my brain that I simply didn't try hard enough to make it work. Coming to these realizations isn't easy. And being honest with myself that I am weak and can't manage to get my crap together and get over them is a tough pill to swallow. So joking about it or endlessly discussing it becomes a huge bore for the people around you.

Fast forward a decade or so...

Now, when talking to new potential dates, I ask them about their exes.. If like me (now), they have very little to say other than to possibly recount events leading up to their demise, they "pass" the "I am over my ex" test. If however they ramble on and on about them, then I thank them for a nice date/talk and slowly back away.

While not a jealous person at all, like you hearing about it endlessly is hugely troublesome. I went through a period of doing the same thing over one of my exes and it took some introspection to discover what had me hung up. After finally giving it one last shot and having it be a disaster, I was happy to walk away.

I still think about them occasionally, and wonder how they are doing, but it's idle curiosity, not focused on wanting to be with them. But it took me a damn long time to get to this place. And it sounds like your BF/ex wasn't quite there yet.

Odds are, if you are jealous (and it sounds like you are), then you made the right decision for you. Now it is time for you to get past your ex and not get hung up in the same cycle he is.. Trust me on this when I say it is more difficult than you think. You might be more sympathetic to his plight after going through this.