1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Male coworker is making me uncomfortable at work .

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by stocking, Jul 14, 2014.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    There is this guy I worked with who I think has a crush on me but it's now become an obsession, sometimes at my job I organize the shelves and he does that too , we're not required to work together on it but at first he asked if we could work together to get the work done faster , but there are little things he does that I can't stand and gets on my nerves .
    Now let's call him bill
    I'll enter the room and say Hi to everyone and we will get upset because the way I said Hi to him isn't all special , it's like he wants me to give him a special type of Hi .
    Then he'll complain to my other coworker Bob about how I never said I good to him and how I just said it plainly . He never uses my name He only says it like this a person said hello wouldn't you get mad if they just said "HI Bill "
    I don't know what the hell this man wants from me , It's not like I ignored him . :dry:
    Then We'll be working and sometimes I'll walk by him and say Hello then 5 mins after or sometimes even 10 mins we meet each other in the same spot and then he'll get upset if I walk pass and then he'll yell and say
    " How rude you can't even say hello to someone ".
    We'll be working in the next together and this man will except me to say hello to him every 10 or five mins . I'm here to work not say hi all the time .
    I decided to put a stop to us working together and I started doing working in different aisle that needed to be organized , he then came and said did I do something wrong I then told him the truth, but I told him from now on I need some space and will like to work by myself , I was also going though some personal issues and I was very upset and did not want to blow up at anyone . He assumed since he talked about it with me even though I told him I needed space that everything will be peachy and I would be back to working with him , So then the next week my boss tells me to work in other aisles that I didn't usually work in Bill then came in asking me if we can work together again I told him that the Boss wanted me to start in aisle 6 Bill tried to talk me into working with him
    and said the boss always ask for that stuff , I then told him I did not want to work together and I'm going to do what the boss asked me to do . He got upset and then walked away then while I walked pass him and said Hi he gave me an angry and hateful look and ignored me . I decided to just keep working and ignore him .
    He has also asked Bob to get me to work with him and that's when Bob came up and said
    "Your working with Bill today " I refused .
    he has given me compliments " Like you look lovely today " and when I say "Oh thank you " He then says " Is that it that's all your gonna say ?" then he mocks the way I say it , it's like he wants me to act like some blushing school girl because he gave me a compliment which I honest don' t care much for :dry:.
    This man has got on my nerves and has down right scared me to the point where I just want a new job to get the hell away from him .:bang::tantrum:

2. Yosia

Kill him?

I would tell your boss he is doing all this stuff and making you uncomfortable, then he can talk to him and put a stop to it.

3. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow, that guy seems awful. Like the epitome of entitled male crossed with can't take a hint.
    Is your manager decent? You could tell him "Bill" is making you feel very uncomfortable?

4. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

when he says you look lovely today, put on ur stupidest face and (you may have to spend time practicing how to mock his voice) in a mock voice of his back say "YOU LOOK LOVELY TODAY TOO" but make sure it is hyper sarcastic, and make sure to look really stupid when doing it, in a way that is very obvious you are sick of his shit and are making fun of him

do this for basically everything he says

if he throws a little baby hissy fit and gets angry at you that's great, don't ever say hi to him or anything, i dealt with guys like this a lot and basically they will ignore you or learn to hate you once they figure out they can't date you

this sounds like a grocery store so i am assuming you have a manager that wont give a shit. your mileage may vary, if your manager actually gives a shit about bill's ISSUES bring it up with them obviously in a more polite way then what i type, professional workplace is always the first step. like they are probably used to co-workers not getting along and have a method of handling it. my advice is how you handle things when you are an idiot, like me, with bad supervisors, like mine!

#4 asdfghjk, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2014
  5. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Running away is not a solution because, unfortunately, you find these kind of people everywhere. You just need to learn how to deal with them. It's good to be nice to people but don't be afraid to be assertive and sarcastic when it's necessary, like in this case.
    First of all, I wouldn't thank his compliments because some people may take being polite for being interested. Is Bob your boss? I'd tell him that your work efficiency is higher when working by yourself than with Bill who distracts you by wanting to talk every 5 minutes so you'd appreciate if you could work alone from now on.

6. PurpleGrey

What a narcissist! Doesn't this fall under harassment? Report the bastard.

7. Clay

He in all honesty sounds like he has some social problems. Like aspergers or something there.

8. girlpower

You can try being 'actually' a little rude by stop saying Hi and Hellos from now on. and if possible try to talk it out with him.. make him understand politely how you dont like being bothered every time and you like to work alone. Try to restrict your conversation to only professional and no nonsense. if he still doesnt change.. then there definitely are other 'rude' ways of making someone understand at work.

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    No Bob is not my Boss but he thought he could get our other coworker to make me work with him , he also said something to the co manager about me .

10. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Something bad? You should really report the behaviour to the manager verbally, or even in writing, so it's on record. You have the right to feel safe and not be harassed at work.

11. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    He got reported before and the bosses didn't do anything

12. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    wow that sucks, would you be able to switch jobs before it gets out of hand

13. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't really know but my mom told me this place in my town is looking for new people so I'm going to sign up there. I was thinking of telling him I'm lesbian so he would give up and leave me alone but I don't think that will work plus he might out me on the job by telling Bob and Bob is very homophobic most of the people on my job are

#13 stocking, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  14. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    damn, then you really should leave, that environment is not safe for you and sign up for that new job

15. Really

Do you think you could manage to catch him next time just as he's about to say something else unwelcome and tell him something like the following?

"Bill, I'm going to have to ask you to leave me alone and give me some space. I'm involved with someone and I don't want this to become unpleasant. I'd appreciate it if our interactions remain work-related only. For my sake and yours. Thank you."

And then walk away so he can't say anything else to you. Also, do not respond to anything he says which is not work related. You only need to do your job and interact on a professional level. Nothing else is required - from him or the company.

16. Candace

I think that you should try to talk to him first. Just say that you need your own space and time to yourself. If that doesn't happen, then take it to a higher authority, such as a supervisor or a boss.

17. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I told him I was with some one but he still hasn't backed off, but I'll do the other stuff you said , even though he's gonna make everyone on the job hate me

18. If he won't leave you alone, go up to the person as high up the chain as you can and report him there. I read that you said he was reported before and that didn't help, but is there anyone higher than your boss that you can report this behavior to? If there is, really consider doing that. He already has no respect for your boundaries, telling him that you're with someone probably won't fix this. It can be helpful to set up boundaries a lot of times, but honestly if it's gotten to this point, I can't imagine that he'll suddenly start being a respectful and reasonable person now.

Go higher. This is harassment and you deserve better treatment at work than this garbage.

19. Really

Ok. Amend my suggested statement to say "As I've told you before..."

Is this a part-time or full-time job? I hope it's part-time and you can fit in some job searching to find something else. In the meantime, I very much doubt he can convince people to hate you unless they're a bunch of brainless morons who can't decide for themselves and if they are, well, be sure in the fact that you are made of higher quality stuff and will be fine without them. Anyone who wants to be friendly with you will be all the more welcome.

Just thought of something. Is there someone, impartial, who you could get to witness this exchange? Might help if you do have to take it up the ladder. Even someone you don't really know.

#19 Really, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  20. tulipinacup

It sounds like he's a very difficult person. You don't owe this guy anything and how very rude for him to expect you to react with the way he wants you to. Like what others have suggested, is there someone who has higher position than your boss like for say, Human Resource?