1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Family and friends believe gay stereotypes and talks about them to me a lot...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by PrinceFabulous, Jul 15, 2014.

1. So my mother believes gay stereotypes. She thinks all/most gay men are effeminate, or at least they're at a point "You can tell they're gay" with no doubt. I tried to tell her that most gays are what people call "straight acting". She then tells me "Stereotypes aren't going to go away. They're there for a reason. Don't fight them." It really makes me angry that I have to put up with stereotypes a lot, honestly. I'm a person, not a stereotype. I'm just like anyone else, just because I'm gay doesn't mean I'm suddenly a living, breathing, stereotype, and she, nor anyone else, seems to understand... It's caused a few fights with her, and even a few friends, I just don't know what to do... I'm just trying to stop people from stereotyping me. Should I just give in to them and take it...?

2. IG88

You should definitely be yourself. It's true that stereotypes didn't crop out of nowhere for particular groups, but it's the few obnoxious/noisy/rememberable ones that get stuck in people's minds. And then those people see the stereotypical people in public or on tv and that idea gets reinforced.

You shouldn't act in a particular way that's not true to yourself. And there are plenty of gay people who you never would have guessed that they were gay. They're harder to spot from a crowd to prove that theory though, that's the nature of stereotypes.

3. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Be a living example of a gay man who does not fit the stereotype. Be yourself and let them see that being gay does not change who a person is nor dominate their personality.