1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The first time you brought someone over

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Runner5, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Runner5

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So when I came out to my parents a couple of months ago, they were fine with it, but since my sexuality doesn't really present itself in daily life or is noticeable its not like they really ever have to face it. Not that I'm in a relationship, but I've been wondering what it would be like if I did bring someone over for dinner or something. Does anyone have any stories or advice?

2. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Even on the rare chance I was ever to find a boyfriend. the parrents meeting (or even knowing about) him simply would not be an option.

3. blueskies

blueskies Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have a story for you!

Before I let my boyfriend meet my whole family, I invited my mom over for coffee and introduced her to my boyfriend. They hit it off immediately and she absolutely loved him. I then introduced him to my whole family and things were sort of awkward in the beginning, my dad acted a bit strange and so did one of my brothers. They eventually warmed up to him though (it took them half a day, tops) and some three months after they first met him, they now act like he's been a part of the family since forever. In fact, he's staying with us now and has been for over a week (we're at our summer cottage) and things have been great so far.

Here's a more detailed tale of when I first introduced him to my family if you're interested: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/1997223-post272.html

It's worth mentioning though that the first time he met my family, he stayed with us for a couple of days and looking back now, I probably should just have invited him over for dinner or something instead because it never occurred to me that things could have gotten awkward. Luckily it didn't, but I still think that having your boyfriend over for a couple of days when he's meeting your family for the first time is a bit much :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. QueerQueen

Never really brought a girlfriend over, but one day I was over at my friends house (she lives next door) with the girl I liked who also happened to like me. My friends parents know I'm gay and they saw me and the girl sitting in a chair together all snuggled close. They have seen the girl once before where we also flirted and could tell that we liked each other. This time however they invited my dad over told him about this girl and I and asked us three to sit down with them. It was awkward at first but my dad is really easy going.. more so than my mom at least with my sexuality back then (last summer).. besides I tried not to flirt with her around my dad.