1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sort of searching for a father figure, feel like I'm ignoring my own beliefs

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by zahhhaks, Jul 17, 2014.

1. zahhhaks

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alright, so there's a pretty complex situation here: I'm a transgender male, and came out to my family/began transitioning a little over a year ago. My mother is a transgender woman, and she came out to me shortly after I came out to her. She's transitioning sort of under the radar right now, taking HRT, getting electrolysis, growing out her hair, and searching for a new job that will be more accepting of her before she actually begins trying to go full time. All my life, I've always had the strong stance that the children of gay and lesbian couples (my parents that I live with are both women now, my mom and my step-mom) don't need a father/mother figure because if you grow up without something, then why would you suddenly need it if you never knew you did? I guess my thing is, I feel like I'm going against my own beliefs, because I've started to kinda miss having a father figure. Not to the point that it actually disrupts my life in any way, but I guess in my own path becoming a man it's really hard to not have anyone to talk to about it who would really understand at all (I don't wanna trigger my mom's dysphoria, and my step-mom isn't trans or anything). It's kinda to the point where I jump at getting close to any older men I can, which is... probably not a great idea for a few-months-from-being-18 year old bisexual guy. I just... feel really bad, because I feel like I shouldn't need or want this kind of thing at all, and it's totally surprised me and I feel like I'm being a shitty person for it. Is this normal at all for children of, at the very least, transgender people who transition when their kids are older?

2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    not your not a horrible person for wanting a father-figure type person in your life, it just seems like a "grass is always greener"/curiosity thing for you, do you have any uncles or grandfathers you could talk to?

3. zahhhaks

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No :frowning2: One of my grandpas is dead, and the other one and I have had a strained relationship since my transition, and my only uncle and I.... don't have a good relationship either

4. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    wow, im sorry do you this might be a need for you to try and emulate a man's behavior and mannerisms?