1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - My Dad Might Have Found Out About Me Liking Girls...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by bisexualkpopfan, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Okay, so yesterday, when me and my family went out on a ride, we parked for a while to eat our ice cream in the car. My dad had preaching on while we did so, and then the preacher started getting into "we are supposed to love the sinner, but hate the sin" and went into "there isn't a single homosexual I wouldn't love, but I cannot say that their sin is right" and that's when I got up from the backseat to change the station. Like I couldn't take it and I am pretty obvious when it comes to standing up from the LGBTQ community - Of course, I do that without saying my sexuality. However, my dad changed it back, but I tried to change it back too. I almost got my hand twisted trying to change it as my dad would refuse to stop playing the hurtful message so I had tgo continue listening to that preacher yell and scream and dictate the whole ride back, which took about an hour. Then, the preacher said something that just broke me - "There is a Heaven and a Hell and if you don't know Jesus Christ, you will go to Hell and burn for eternity!" I mean, I had never heard it said so bluntly. Sure, my pastor normally says that "we can't just do whatever we want and expect to enter the kingdom of God", but I mean, never once have I heard it said like that. And in my mind, I heard "If you have any feelings for girls, it doesn't matter how much you love God, you will go to Hell and burn for eternity!" Then, I started crying in the backseat.

When we got home, I kind of gave away that I was upset. My dad asked me what was wrong and I blamed it on my head hurting, but then he kept asking what else is supposed to be bothering me. I didn't say anything and then he said "was it that homosexual thing that bothered you?" and I said no, and went out that room, but followed me into my mom's room where she was. He continued to say that "you can't get upset at these preachers every time they mention homosexuality, besides that he only made one statement" Yeah, one statement that tells me there's no purpose to my life just because I'm going to burn for loving someone anyway. He continued saying that "I mean, you can't change the Bible, I mean murder, homosexuality, that has always been wrong and it will always be wrong". So, then, I walked out of that room and back into the living room. He followed me again but told me to come sit and "talk" - Then he asked if I was "struggling with that [I guess liking girls]" and completely panicked and left again. Luckily, my mom told him to go get the gas and to the store so he had to do that, which gave me a break. When he came back from the store, he wanted to talk again, but then we put off the talk for today.

I honestly thought he would forget with work, but right when he came back home today, he asked if he wanted to talk - Then, he started to say that "I'm ashamed of myself, because I let some things go through the cracks that [I should of paid attention to]" - I honestly don't want him to be ashamed - Though I do want him to apologize for how he thinks of the community - But seriously, I didn't even let him finish and went to hid in the room again. What is there to be ashamed of though anyways? I don't get it. He put off the talk for tomorrow evening again - I honestly don't want to talk about this. I'm playing to start acting boy crazy in front of him so that he won't think I like girls too - But I've tried doing that before and it's awkward and I can't even finish because I'm not open about anyone, girl or boy, that I like to my parents.

So, do you think I should just act like I just love guys for now? And any tips on how to do that? Because I noticed that when my parents get involved or even mentions something about LGBTQ people, my anxiety gets back up and I start to get insecure right when I'm starting to accept myself. So, in order for my own happiness and to be able to fully accept who I am, I don't want them to know about this or even try to change their opinions about LGBTQ people anymore - It's not healthy for being comfortable with myself at all. I just don't want to bring up the subject in any way anymore. I don't want them to take away my college tuition or try to send me to scary conversion therapy - So, do you think that acting boy crazy all of a sudden will help my dad believe that I'm straight so that we don't have to talk??

2. Tetra

Honestly, I don't think you should need to act "boy crazy" in front of your parents just to try and push something that isn't true. It takes a lot out of you, and I think it will cause more harm than good in the long run.

If doesn't sound like you're in a good and accepting environment right now (clearly), so maybe if it's absolutely necessary, make up something to tell your dad for the time being. Perhaps tell him that there's someone at your school who gets bullied at your school for being gay and you don't agree with it? Perhaps that will explain to him why you got so upset, and he'll stop pushing it.

Eventually you'll need to tell your dad the truth, whether he wants to hear it or not. I'd assume it'll be a time when you're living on your own and are comfortable. They'll have nothing to take away from you, and will not be able to punish you for what they think is wrong. They'll have lots of time to get used to it then. There's no rush.

3. Oh okay, I'll do that - I actually do feel more strongly about all of this because of the hurt LGBTQ people have gone through and not just because I am bi, so it'll be kind of the truth anyways. And yeah, I'll wait until I'm out of high school and going to college and financially independent because it still seems like his ignorance toward the gay community won't go away any time soon. Thank you so much for your help, I appreciate it!! :slight_smile:

4. kelly96

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I dont think acting boy crazy will help but I think when he trys to get you to sit down and talk, if you really don't want him knowing just deny it and say you feel very strongly about LGBTQ rights untill you're ready or if you think you're ready and its safe to do so you could come out to him but tell him you're not ready to talk about it yet and that when you are you'll come to him.