1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my decaying family

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by rarity von 666, Jul 18, 2014.

1. rarity von 666

For many years, my family has been trying to feed me lies. they always say "it is against god" "it's not Adam and steve" " god hates homosexuals" "sodomy is homosexuality" " they worship Satan". only some of my family members are open minded. i am forced to go to church on Sunday ( i fucking hate it when I'm with my dad). why does this fucking bible exists? i just don't get Christianity any more :frowning2:

2. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Christianity today is filled with lies and nothing else. The bible has been mistranslated into English and in its original language they never condemned homosexuality at all. God loves you and wants you in to be loved and your family is preaching fake christianity. I am sorry your in a situation where people preach hate constantly and what you need to really understand it and possibly get your family to understand it whenever your ready is to separate church from christianity and that opens up a whole new world and a fresher perspective on what Christianity really is about.

3. wolf of fire

The Bible was written by multiple different people, each one had been spoken to by God and they were interpreting it all differently meaning it goes against itself and is at the end of the day a very old book that has been translated multiple times from different languages (I mean no offense with this so apologies)

4. Newby50s

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Growing up in the Baptist Church, I was "bible drill champion", meaning I could look the verses the fastest. I see a lot of people quoting verses who really don't know much about the bible. I can outmaneuver them in a few seconds with conflicting verses.

Most are just using them to back up their bigotry. They conveniently forget any which might apply to them.

5. Hyaline

Ultimately in your heart, you believe what you believe. Don't let some person's interpretations of the bible taint your beliefs. Words, while they can hurt and just words. They are meant to scold and hurt. But at the end of the day, you feel like you feel and their words can't change that. So, listen intently. Take with you the good stuff and leave the things behind that don't fit with how you believe/think.

Like Newby50s, my parlor trick learned in private school was in 1st grade we had to memorize the books of the bible. I can still do it. And when the bible thumpers start in with me. I ask them if they can name the books of the bible. Of course most cannot. (I can do Old and New Testament.) I respond typically after that long names tirade with "yeah, I've read it and it isn't for me.."

For me I've chosen a different path that diverted away from Christianity. But, my path has lead me back to accept people of other beliefs. But it has taken me darn near 30 years to get to this point. And probably only in the last few years have I really begun to be more tolerant of beliefs other than what I felt in my heart. The good part is that now, my path lets me celebrate what others believe with them and not feel obligated to follow their dogmatic laws. It is a wonderful balance.