1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A 13 year old has fallen in love with me.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by BelleFromHell, Jul 19, 2014.

1. BelleFromHell

Apparently my tightrope walk between childhood and adulthood wasn't bad enough...

Last month, I moved from Atlanta to north Georgia. I immidiately met another girl. She is 13 years old. We both share a love for Pokemon and MLP:FiM. She originally thought I was 14 years old and was shocked when I told her I was 17. Despite this, we get along awesomely.

While on a trip to Wal-Mart, I decided to come out to her. She was awesome about it. The next time we go to Wal-Mart, she tells me she thinks she's also gay. I asked her if she felt more comfortable with the idea of kissing and hugging boys or girls (she hasn't had the "Sex Talk" yet, so I didn't get into anything dirty), and she said girls. She used to have a "boyfriend," but it didn't last long. She told me she was afraid of her mom finding out, and if her dad was still alive, he would tell her she can't be both gay and Christian.

Later on, she told me she has a massive crush on me. I responded with "That's so cute!" (by that, I meant Hello Kitty 'cute', not romantic 'cute') I told her that I'm the kind of person who has to know another person for a long period of time before developing those feelings (some people call that "demiromantic," while I just call that "being human"). And, or course, we were both well aware of the age gap. If we were in our 20's, I wouldn't make it as big of a deal, but let's be real. A 17 year old dating a 13 year old is just plain creepy, not to mention unhealthy. She's turning 14 in September, but that doesn't really make it any less creepy. I told her we can stay friends, and once we're both older, I'll consider it. She was so happy, and she started talking about how the wait will be worth it.

I feel like a monster. While the age gap is the most obvious reason as to why we aren't dating, there are other ones as well.

1) She's a Christian, and I'm an agnostic. I don't think I could handle dating a non-secualar person. I don't hate Christians (not all of them, anyway), I just don't like the idea of dating someone with religious beliefs (there are plenty of Christians who won't date non-Christians, and that doesn't offend me in the slightest).

2) I have needs (some are very sexual, although I'm willing to wait for a long-term relationship to satisfiy those).

3) Whenever she sees the "s-word," she freaks out. Like I said, she's never had the talk, so I highly doubt she's asexual or anything like that. I was the same way when I was her age, so I can't really blame her.

4) I tend to curse (as Kat 5 would say) "like a rapping sailor," while she's so against cursing that she feels the need to pray whenever she accidentally curses. I don't think I could spend the rest of my life with someone like that.

5) She wants kids. This is a pretty huge deal-breaker. I have no interest in having children at all whatsoever. I haven't told her that I'm child-free yet, but I'll have to bring it up eventually.

I feel like a monster because I know EXACTLY how it feels to love someone who doesn't love you back.

Crying yourself to sleep every night/planning to get 70 cats in order to fill the void/extreme envy of couples you see in public and the media/avoiding the person who rejected your love in fear of bothering them... you know what I mean.

I know she'll have to get her heart broken, but I should at least let her down in the easiest/most gentle way possible. Any advice?

2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Yeah, I can't see this working either. Just let her down really really easy....the age gap of course is the biggest problem here. It'll be better for her in the long run.

3. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Crush ≠ love, in my opinion.

Is she in love with you, or is she crushing on you?

It's possible that she will get over it yourself, and you won't have to say anything, but I agree with Fallingdown. It'll be better for her, and for you. A relationship needs to make you happy, too, so don't beat yourself up over this.

In any case, good luck. (*hug*)

4. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't see that working either. It's not just because of the age gap, but because you're a bit too different on certain matters.
    All I can say from a 14-year-old's perspective is that there are all sorts of people in all age groups. I know people my age who are grossed out by kissing, because it's for adults, and also those who think it's EMBARRASSING to be a virgin at 13. Yes, there are those people. So what one shouldn't do is to say "she shouldn't know this, she's only 14", when there are many 14-year-olds who know more than their relatives think they do.
    Got a bit off-topic, didn't I? :grin:

5. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

I have to agree with my buddy here.:grin:
    As you said when you two would be in your 20ies it wouldn't matter that much.
    But she has already or has just started puberty and you're almost out of it.
    The mentality or matureness (is that a word?) is too different.
    Did you tell her it can't work or just "aw sweet ok then"?

6. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What I'm saying, though, is that one of my cousins had a working relationship with a 17-year-old when she was 14... They were together for 7months :slight_smile:

7. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Oh really?
    How did that work?

8. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She was mature, they got along really well and all :grin: It took them 6 months to get together, though, because at first they didn't believe the other would like them back. Anyway. They were really happy :slight_smile:

9. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Oh wow. That's cool!
    Yea, sometimes it depends on the (omg I found the word) maturity of both.
    But it's rare that a younger one is as comparable mature as the older one. I mean at such a big age difference. But well, it happens:slight_smile:

10. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    3 years isn't even that much in the end.

11. BelleFromHell

The whole thing makes me feel very guilty. I'm the only person she's come out to, so it feels like I'm pushing her back in the closet. She wants me to date her when we're older, but I just don't see it happening. I love her to pieces, but my love for her is completely platonic.

I don't even know how to tell her. I want to tell my parents, but they'll probably put the blame on me since I'm older. Plus, they don't like it when I come out to too many people, and she made me promise not to tell them.

12. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Biologically not but mentally sometimes yes.
    Ok, it always depends on the person and their uhm mind.

Bellefromhell, you don't have to feel guilty. You can't change it. And it's not your fault. Well, fault. Wrong word. But she has to understand and accept it. Otherwise it wouldn't be clever to continue this. I mean not the friendship. The whole thing. Oh well. I'm talking crap sorry.

#12 CharlsOn, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  13. BelleFromHell

Somewhere in the middle, I guess...?

Thank you. (*hug*)

14. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, it totally depends on the people. Hell, sometimes even one year is too much maturity-wise!! :grin:

15. BelleFromHell

I basically said "That's so cute!," but I said it in that way.

16. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Yea, I totally have to agree!!!

So you didn't tell her clearly it can't work?

17. BelleFromHell

While I agree that it usually depends, I can't say the same for this situation. She's in middle school, while I'm almost done with high school. By the time she starts high school, I'll most likely be in college.

A 13 year old dating a 17 year old would definitely be unhealthy, at least in the mental sense.

---------- Post added 19th Jul 2014 at 05:53 PM ----------

Nope. I'm too nice. I just recently was rejected by my best friend, and I don't want her to feel as bad as I do.

18. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

How do you mean 'unhealthy in the mental sense'?

Well, I understand that. Really. But I think the truth is always better than a lie or not telling sth. In the end the lie is more painful than the truth actually is.

19. BelleFromHell

Well, mentally speaking, I'm a young adult, and I'll be 18 in half a year. She doesn't even know what sex is yet. And, as you said before, I'm almost done with puberty, while she's just starting it. Puberty impacts people not just physically, but mentally and emotionally as well.

If it was a 14 year old girl wanting to date an 18 year old man, I don't think everyone would be as open-minded about this situation.

---------- Post added 19th Jul 2014 at 06:09 PM ----------

I agree. I just don't know how to tell her. I want to tell my parents, but she made me promise not to tell them. I have another neighbor I can probably talk to...

20. Auren

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The rest of those things will probably change as she gets older. She will learn about sex, become more okay with cussing, religious views will become more flexible, etc.. The one thing that probably wont change, which is a huge issue in relationships, is that she wants kids. Of course, if that is just her trying to be a good Christian, that might change too.

Anyway, 13 is young (heck- 17 is young), so I think you should at least remain friends with her and see what happens over the years.