1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on knowing who is gay and who is not

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by hpamire79, Jul 20, 2014.

1. hpamire79

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This sounds so silly I shudder at posting it, but aside from meeting guys online or through being set up, I never really know who is gay and who is not. Are there any general tips or pointers that are generally known to those in the gay community? I have heard awesome stories of how guys have met randomly, but it always involves the fact that they each realize the other is gay; similarly I have heard stories where one is gay and one is not and things just get incredibly awkward.

Sorry, new at this, and clearly this is weighing on me! Any and all advice appreciated.

2. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Search this site for "gaydar", which is a term for scientifically undocumented "sixth sense" type of ability to spot guys who are into guys. Some of us are good at it, others not so much.

If there was a fool-proof way to tell, life would be a lot easier for a lot of people...

3. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

gay men are known for their snake like tongues, assisting them in finding mates and "sniffing" out fellow men interested in men, while lesbians have the popular sixth left hand finger (in between the ring and pinky) to help pleasure each other. bisexuals are known to shake their rumps upon arousal, an evolutionary tactic now made useless by the loss of the tail; the instinct still remains though.

these traits should make it easier to identify them in the wild
    peace :slight_smile:

4. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi hpamire

I don't have much experience, but since I began allowing myself to lust after guys, I naturally began checking them out while in public. Not in an obvious way, I kind of make it look incidental or accidental. It is when they are doing it back to me as well, that I can sometimes sense that 'something's up' LOL. But I will be just as interested as you are, too see what some of our more experienced members have to say on this issue.

Damien. :slight_smile:

5. HTBO

I do that with women as well. And now that I've begun to look around, i noticed there are a lot more people checking me out than I would have ever suspected. Be open to your environment, look around, make eye contact. I've discovered eye contact is very useful, especially when they maintain and then smile:slight_smile: Other than that, I have no idea.

6. stumble along

Gaydar

Yours might be jammed with raspberry if you're having difficulty

7. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Either that, or you may be surrounded by assholes. Best option, put the Instant VHS copy of this movie in, and fast forward past Now. That should help you figure out who's gay and who isn't... :roflmao:

8. hpamire79

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    LoL so basically the answer is...no.

Funny though. When I worked in the hospitality industry I once had a patron who was clearly gay, and I am certain that he wondered if I was. So as he picked up a glass of wine he held it in such odd fashion so as to extend his index finger in an unusual manner, basically so that it would stand out to me. I had no idea why he would hold the glass that way, and pretty much ignored it. But he kept making eye contact, I know he wanted my attention. I really just don't know what it meant.

9. RainDreamer

You can't really know for certain until the person tell you. But you can make an educated guess based on your experience with LGBT community. So I guess you have to hang out with a lot of LGBT people to upgrade your gaydar. =p

About your patron, sounds like he was just checking you out, but not necessarily making an explicit move.

10. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You might look up "That 3 To 5 Seconds..." by lesbiancentral, talking about gaydar, on youtube.
    Maybe seeing it not so serious for shy people...