1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you strike up a conversation with people you don't know?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by KyleD, Jul 21, 2014.

1. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hey everyone, for the past decade or so I've been somewhat of a recluse when it comes to social situations. I have driven a way a lot of friends and family so much so that I don't really have a social life outside of work and business situations.

My question is, in my attempt to get back into becoming a social person having now accepted and become more comfortable with my sexuality, how do I strike up conversations in social situations with people I don't know?

I want to make new friends and start a new life. This means that I'll have to be taking a lot of risks by going out and meeting people who I've never met before. This is not me so it's inevitably a risk.

Does anybody have any tips on going to a social event where you don't know anybody and striking up a conversation with complete strangers?

Regards.

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You could train this little by little.
    Making nice remarks to the cashier... in a restaurant telling the waiter you like the decoration... just being interested and asking questions... etc...

Another way might be looking for situations where you can meet people... like joining a sports club... taking language courses... etc...

3. butHitlerisDead

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's hard to give a piece of advice on what to do that fits all situations. However, simply make small talk with the person (probably something relevant to the setting/situation you both are in). For example if you see someone drawing you might comment on how good their drawing is. Conversation should end up becoming more natural after that as you slip into different things to talk about.

4. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Great advice, I'm actually taking a language course right now and that has helped a great deal. I might just join a sports club too. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 22nd Jul 2014 at 05:15 PM ----------

True, thanks. :slight_smile: