1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I, Knight

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Black Swan, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Black Swan

This might be a strange thread.

Ever since I was little, I use to wish my friends would trust me more. I wished they would see me as 'that person' who can be trusted with all their woes, and I would make things right. I gradually worked out that if I was kind, willing to listen and non-judgmental they would open up to me a bit more. In a way, I saw myself as their 'Knight'. I wanted to be the hero who would rescue them from their misery, who carried everyone's burdens.

Flash-forward to High school. So yeah, I continue to act like everyone's Knight, trying be the solution to their lives. I cheer them up and really care about them - maybe too much.

I've started to wonder if this is a healthy thing to do. I feel like I don't want to come out to anyone because I don't want to burden them with my problems - it should be the other way around. I want to be a normal friend but I feel like I'm trapped in this role of Knighthood.

This might sound silly but it is actually affecting me big time. Don't know what to do...

2. Vampire

I know exactly what you mean by wanting to be everyone's Knight. But, the reality is that, friendships need to work both ways. So, if someone trusts you with their problems, you should trust them with yours and should definitely accord them some trust. You should choose the people closer to you and work your way out from there.

Do keep in mind, however, that you CAN'T always be everyone's Knight.

I think I answered your question as best as I could, but if you have any more specific questions, feel free to ask them!

Lots of love,
    Andy

3. Black Swan

Thanks Andy, that was a very comprehensive answer. :slight_smile:

4. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a noble thing to do and I wish I could be more like you but at the end. Of the day you need to look after yourself before others, if being their 'Knight' is having that much of an affect on you just try and be a good friend, you don't need to be the solution to all their problems otherwise they may end up being over dependant on you.