1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend outed me... What should I do?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by shadowraptor, Jul 24, 2014.

1. shadowraptor

A while back, one of my close friends from junior high was going through a rough point in her life and had an issue with cutting, and we ended up getting into a conversation about problems that we had to deal with at home or in school. We were talking about eating disorders and body image and I just blurted out that I was gay. She just hugged me and told me nothing would change between us.

I went out with her and one of her girlfriends recently, only to find out that she had told her therapist as well as some of her high school friends that I was gay. I tried to act cool about it and told her it was no big deal. But it hurt me, not because she told people but that she did so unnecessarily and behind my back without my permission. Honestly, it's not a big deal, but I don't like feeling betrayed, you know? I'm probably just being paranoid, but I want to be the one telling people I'm gay, not have someone do it for me, if that makes any sense.

2. Auren

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Did she know that you were not out and that you were not comfortable with other people knowing? If she did, I don't think you should be friends with her anymore. If not, you should ask her to not tell anyone in the future.

3. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would ask her who she told (other than her therapist) and then if possible talk to them in private and ask them to keep it quiet, it sucks that she told people but that's in the past and as long as she doesn't tell anyone else you should be fine. Alternately you could beat her friends to the punch and come out before they tell anyone else :icon_bigg.

4. shadowraptor

Well I never explicitly told her to keep it a secret, so I guess I'm partially to blame.

Auren, I guess I never really considered that. I had told about three or four friends by the time I came out to her, so while I was not "out" I wasn't really "in" at that point either. And while I'm fine with people knowing, I'm not okay with people going around and announcing my sexuality unless I give them the permission to. I feel like since it's something I personally am dealing with, I should be the one telling people about it. At this point I guess I just want to know why she decided to tell them, especially how I fit in with the whole therapist thing.

That one guy, I'll definitely ask who she told, but I would assume that they're all her friends from her school that I've never met. So unfortunately, I don't know how I'll be able to come out to them :lol:

5. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bake a cake?