1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Parents and Brother

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by BGump, Jul 25, 2014.

1. BGump

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I told my parents that I liked men this summer. I was told that I haven't tried hard enough with girls to say I don't like them. They told me anything from "why would anyone want ass" from "let me know when you made a choice." My told me that she could eventually get used to it yet she is the one saying all the hurtful things. My dad hasn't uttered a single word about it since. I know that he doesn't support it at all. I was just on the phone with a friend and my brother snuck onto the other line and overheard only god knows what. I ran to my room and now am crying as I write this. I can hear him singing and playing on his guitar as if he's not phased. I don't know if he knows for sure or what. I know my little sister would be ok with it but she has a big mouth and everyone would know at once. I'm not ready for all of this. I'm 17 about to enter my senior year. All I want us to have a normal life. How would you handle this situation? Any advice?

2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ok as for your parents i think you might need for them to adjust to it, but those comments seem incredibly hurtful, im sorry for that, would you want to maybe confront your brother on what he maybe heard and i hope things will settle down for you abit, it just takes time dude

3. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's good you got it out there but your family's reaction seems pretty spiteful, if you can sum up the courage tell them they are hurting you and how you feel, if they love you they will stop.

4. Skov

Hi and welcome,

First of all, congrats on coming out to your family. I'm sure it took a lot of courage. Second, I'm sorry to hear about all of the hurtful comments. My parents said some pretty similar things when I came out. You just need to give them some time to process all that is happening. You've had a while to come to terms with being gay; they've only had the short amount of time since you've told them. I recommend just letting them have some time. If they bring it up, don't give them any indication that you are sorry about being who you are and don't give them any indication that it will change. I know it's hard, but it gets better with time.

Don't worry, you'll be able to live a great life

5. turtlemom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Im so sorry your parents are acting the way they are. I would strongly suggest that you keep coming here for support and reading about others here. It might also be a good idea to email your school counselor when you go back to school, its free and confidential. You could email them and ask to set up a time to meet and tell them in the email that you have very private things you need to talk about and also that your having troubles at home just to give them heads up on what its about a little bit. My son had a good relationship with his school counselor. You could also contact your local college to see if they have a LGBT support group and if they do maybe email the president of that group to see if they would meet with you for guidance/support. Maybe tell them a little about your situation in the email. Gather all the support you can find because you arent getting it at home. Yes, I know, it would be reallynice to get support at home but since it isnt happening you have to get it from other sources. Maybe you should consider talking to your brother when you notice him in a nice mood and tell him how bad you feel, just open up to him and ask him to please not repeat your phone conversation that you feel bad enough as it is. If he says that he wont, then tell him thanks that you appreciate that. No one should be making crude remarks to you especially your parents. Sorry but thats how I feel. Im sure you love them and they love you but its wrong that your mother makes crude remarks. Just because someone is a mother or father doesnt mean they cant be wrong or have poor behaviors. I wish you only the best. Hope you stay here.

6. BGump

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My mom got home and my brother told my mom. She came up saying that I was talking shut about her on the phone. She told me that she is sorry if she offended me and that she is just not able to understand how I feel. She said that she will try harder to be more empathetic and that she will always love me. It all kinda got better because of my brother. My mom said that he is suspicious but doesn't know for sure. This makes me happy. I'm closer with my mom now. Yay

7. Clay

Well that's good I guess? They will come around eventually, I'm sure they love you.

8. turtlemom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thats a good step in the right direction for your mom. Good deal!