1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just ended a friendship

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Otaku, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Otaku

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    a couple of days ago i stoped being friends with one of my best friends and now i'm feelling very sad and kinda depressed about it ...

The reason for this is that he's one of the biggest homophobic people i know and he doesn't know that i'm gay , so i just snapped and told to F off and that i don't wanna be his friend anymore i told him that he doesn't even know me , the real me , and if he did he'd hate me so it's better off to stop being friends in the first place . and that's how it ended , i know i kinda messed up but it was too frustrating , i was too tired of being friends with someone that i'll eventually lose the day i come out , i was tired of him telling me that i need to change my "personnality" (he's even too stupid to figure out that i'm gay even after years of being friends , he's so homophobic he wouldn't even concider already being friends with a gay person ) that everytime he tells me to change i get pissed off , and lately he's been saying it a lot , he has been saying that if i don't change and "man up" he'd stop being friend with me ... that's why i ended it , i told him that i don't need him or anybody else , i convinced myself that i'm strong enough and confident enough to be alone ... but these couple of days have been hell , because i isolated myself , i stayed alone , and now i'm sadder than ever and i just need some advice to stop feeling the way i do , what do you guys do when you're feeling depressed ?

#1 Otaku, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  2. Black Swan

You did the right thing, he sounds like a total jerk. Nobody has the right to tell you to change yourself in any way, gay or straight. Put yourself out there and find true friends who like you for being you.

3. Otaku

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know that i did , but still , i feel so sad and lonely right now .. and i just hate feeling like this , i'm usually the "happy guy" among my friends , but now , i can't even seem to go out ... i'm isolating myself , i'm telling myself that if i tell any of them that i'm gay i'll lose them , so why even be friends with them ? i always thought that being alone is easy .. but it's not ...

4. turtlemom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You should feel good about yourself. You did the right thing! Sounds like your more of a man than he will ever be. You deserve new friends and I believe you will find them. I know right now you feel really down. But its time now to start a new beginning for yourself, start over with new friends. Let your self have this time to reflect and feel what your feeling, thats what you need to do just dont stay to yourself too long. Slowly pick yourself back up. Get a hold of a friend and go do something.... anything just go hang out. Sounds like that "friend" is the one who needs to change.

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You did the right thing, and often doing the right thing is the most painful thing to do...which is why relatively few people ever do the right thing.

You should be proud of yourself for getting rid of a negative situation. Even though it may have been awkward, and it may have been done in anger, which is never the best way to do these things, you took care of yourself and defended your boundaries.

What you are feeling is grief, you are mourning a long friendship, and it is good to feel this, and to know that you need to take the time to feel this loss.

We are here for you, let us know how you are doing...

6. Otaku

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    thanks guys , i'm getting tears in my eyes right now ... i just felt really sad and down , but as you said it was the right thing to do , i was fed up with him trying to change me even if he doesn't know the real me ... i know what i've done was of anger , but i won't regret it ! i will move on ! time heals , so i'll take as much as i need to get over this

#6 Otaku, Jul 25, 2014
  7. Hiems

You did the right thing by not compromising who you are to satisfy those around you. If they don't accept you, then that is their problem and not yours.

8. tulipinacup

I'm very sorry to hear that. I know it must have been hard to end a relationship but you need to understand that if you spend time arguing, fighting, disagreeing with a friend then I don't think it's not a healthy relationship so you did the right thing. Bandage hurts like hell once you take it off but as time passes by, it gradually heals the wound.

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry that you had to do this. This is never an easy thing to do. Friends are supposed to be there to support you and lift you up, and this person was clearly not going to do that. Right now, you are grieving the loss of your friend. With time, this will get easier, it just sadly takes some time.

10. bearseverywhere

Out Status:
    A few people
    I am so so sorry you had to do that. But, in hindsight, it was for the best, and you made the right decision. When I feel depressed, I usually go to the park and climb a tree, before listening to really depressing songs and eating a lot of chocolate. You can also talk it over with some of your other friends. It is no good to keep emotions bottled up inside.

~silva
    "Never love someone who treats you lie ordinary." ~Oscar Wilde.

#10 bearseverywhere, Jul 25, 2014
  11. Black Swan

I know how you feel, I'm usually the "happy" one around my friends too. But the reality is that we're all human and sometimes we just feel sad. Nevertheless, you should make sure to put yourself out there and don't isolate yourself, as you will make it harder.

12. scub

i would advice staying away from him. you did the right thing. also, if he doesn't already doesn't know you're gay (as hearing it from your own words), i would tell him so if he tries to contact you. tell him that you're gay and you can't be around another person with such hatred towards gay people.

also, keep in mind that a huge percent of homophobic people are actually gay themselves. i say this from experience. my best friend was a homophobe.. when he used to see a feminine gay walking by he would say "look at that fag". i used to get upset inside but i swallowed it because i kind of knew deep down he might of been gay. a could years later i came out to him as bi. to be honest, i was scared i might lose him but it was a chance i had to take because i couldn't be around anyone who hated gay people, even though at the time i didn't consider myself as 100% gay.

when i told him he gave me a weird look, when we had the conversation, i could see the glare in his eyes that he probably was gay or bi himself. he didn't say much but everything after that seem to still be cool between us. i think it might of been awkward for him because inside of him he was fighting his own demons and hiding who he really is. no one would ever suspect he was gay, but since i known him for a while i knew something was different about him.

a couple years later my suspicion turned out to be true. despite him always being around girls and having a gf, he told me he was gay.

that said, i would continue keeping your distance from this friend. i can almost guarantee if he is a true friend he will call you.

#12 scub, Jul 25, 2014
  13. Otaku

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    so today , my aunt and her 3 cute baby girls came to visit , and they just made my day ,it's like they knew i was sad even if i was trying to appear "normal" infront of my aunt , they all came to me and started huging and kissing me and playing with me in the cutest way ever , and it kind of just made all my sadness go ... i don't think i'd ever talk to that friend again tho , he didn't call or text or anything (even if he did i wouldn't have accepted being friends with him again)

So i just wanted to say thanks guys for all the support it really helped me not feel guilty about what i've done and that now i'm okay thanks to my 3 angel baby-cousins

14. lovely lesbian

You did the right thing you dont need someone like that in your life.