1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Distant" aunt relationship - Possible life future

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Gleeko0, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Gleeko0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi <3

I'll give you a bit of a background first, and I'll try to be short.

My mom and dad both know about me since I was 15. Both make my life hell and have tried multiple things from psychiatry to threats (dad) to try and change me. Lets say my position right now is not very comfortable. I don't even know how they still kept me in college for this long, I still have 2 years to go thought. I don't bring it up, but my sexuality is always used against me whenever convenient. In sum, I live in a hostile environment
    ----

topic (this will be big)

I put "distant" in quotes because she is not exactly distant in kinship. She is my fathers sister. She has lived in Australia for over 15 years now I guess, which means contact with her has been somewhat limited, but every time she came over, it felt like she was never far away for that long, she is a welcoming kind person. And she's also pretty crazy as well.

Recently, my parents proposed that I go live with her after I finish college, my mom was supportive because she knows I will do whatever I can to get away from Brazil, and she doesn't want me to suffer in another country nor do something crazy to achieve what I want. Surprisingly, my dad also was super supportive, mainly because he wants to "put my issue under the carpet". Whatever, as long as I achieve what I want.

Why I want to go away? Brazil may seem like a nice country for LGBT~. Thats a LIE. Brazil is extremely conservative, family model moral customs and religion reigns across all regions and specially north-northeast. I am in Southeast, where you could call the "progressive" part, and I still go through a lot of shit. Hate crimes for LGBT~ and even Racism are sky high. And overall, we have homicide rates of a civil war. Its not a nice place to be, even less when you are LGBT~

No, I DON'T think I will find heaven in any other country. Usa, Canada, Australia, France, whatever. I know each country has major and minor issues, pro and cons, I lived abroad for years and I am very well aware of it, and thats what made me even more aware the Brazil is not for me, so I will grab the first chance I get.

I want to go because I will leave my family too. When I get a job, when I go live by myself, they will still be around. I will still get them knocking and trying to take care of my life. When I become committed to another guy, I will live HELL on earth. I get it now and I am not even dating anyone! Its been 6 months since I kissed a person, jesus, and I'm treated like if I went whoring every single night. I don't want this life.

BUT, going to live with my aunt, which I don't know from up close, is definitely something to put a thought on.

First, I don't know much about Australian immigrant policy, I expect to get directions by her. She is a citizen, she is not even Brazilian anymore, perhaps that might give me some kind of opening, I'm not sure.

But ok, lets hypothesize that it works, I get some kind of VISA that allows me to stay there with her for a good time and open doors for a residence card.

I thought about a second thing, and this has been worrying me;

Although I know she is very liberal, because; She was always the "rebel" in the family, tattooed (nothing exaggerated), enjoys casual recreational substances, rave parties, probably has had LGBT~ friends as I remember she mentioned once or twice in some conversations.

Much of that has settled down, including the substance part, after she had her child. He is under 8, and will still be if I eventually go there. Now, I am not sure of the level of acceptance she will have on my case, maybe I am worrying too much;

I don't want to go there without her knowing about me, I should tell her beforehand, shouldn't I?

If I tell her after, or even after a while, I may get a lot of crap, for not being honest + possible rejection.

If I tell her before, there is a chance she might not want me near her son, since I would live with her for at least the first year or two before I am well settled. Or am I being paranoid?

Deciding to live with an aunt you don't really know deeply in another country is not exactly an easy choice, and I don't want another hell on earth, I want someone that will not give a shit if I go out with guys, girls, or aliens. She totally seems, or seemed, like someone like this, but I don't know to which extent, and she changed a lot after she had her son :/

Well, she is divorced, lives with him alone, I was told by everyone (mom, dad, and grandma, her mom) she will absolutely love my presence (and I want to be reliable around, and I'll work too!), what everyone is not counting, as they seem to be COMPLETELY ignoring the part that I am gay, because they always treat me like if I was straight regardless of what I say, unless they want to bash me in a fight.

What do you guys think? Are those valid worries? About her, the kid, and me?

Also, if anyone knows about Australia's openness, feel free to post too.