1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(Cliche) In love with friend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Silver Springs, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Silver Springs

Okay, it's really awkward for me to ask strangers online for advice,
    especially about something that is so deep and personal… but I'm not out to
    anyone but a single friend, and this is about him. I have fallen in love.
    Not a crush, not an infatuation, but completely, head over heels in love
    for my friend. The good news is, he's bi. I couldn't imagine the sheer
    torment of having these feelings for someone who could never reciprocate
    them. The bad news, he has absolutely no idea how I feel for him, and, if
    he did, I don't know how he'd react.

Because this is going to turn into a big, ongoing rant, I'll give a lot of
    background. We have known each other for years at school, but we never
    really became close; to him, I was the creepy Christian kid, to me, he was
    just some cardboard cut-out perfect student, good at academia, sport and
    culture, but with no depth whatsoever. He was right, I suppose, but I was
    dead wrong. A few months ago, we went on a school trip together, and
    something just clicked for us. After about two days together, we became
    really close friends. Within the week, I'd fallen for him, but I could
    hardly admit this to myself, let alone to other people.

I discovered that he was an amazingly deep, magnetic person. I discovered
    that his eyes were the colour of wood in dappled sunlight. I discovered
    that his smile could melt ice. I discovered that his hands were softer than
    velvet. We were together every night, for dinner, then karaoke, then just
    talking in his room. Every time we were together, my head was spinning. I
    didn't think these feelings were possible, certainly not for feeling them
    for another guy. But, for good or for ill, I was in love with him.

When he got back home, I got Facebook just to be able to talk with him. We
    have talked every single night for months, for at least two hours a night.
    We are inseparable at school; he's out to his friends, but most people have
    suspicions that he's gay. Needless to say, a lot of jokes are thrown at me
    about what a great couple we make. Sigh. I wish.

A couple of weeks into our friendship, he told me about how he'd broken up
    with his boyfriend. They had something that I feel so jealous of, but the
    boyfriend had been too clingy, and had massive issues with depression and
    self-harm. My friend did all he could to make it work, he really did, but
    then it was impacting on him too much, and he had to break it off. He had
    been hesitant to tell me, because he knew I was Christian (though I never
    talked about sexuality), but when he did, I became his closest confidante,
    a friend to talk to, a shoulder to cry on. It pained me so much to give him
    the right advice, not just the advice that would bring me closer to him,
    and for a few weeks my biggest fear was that he would get back together
    with his ex. That ship has sailed now, thank God.

I have absolutely no idea how I lived without him now. I managed to stutter
    out my two biggest secrets to him, one of those being that I was bisexual.
    He is completely understanding, but, more than that, he actually helps me.
    Putting his advice into action is like washing away the dirt with clean,
    fresh water. He is always so critical of himself, but I can hardly see any
    of his flaws. To me, he is absolutely perfect, inside and out.

That's most of the backstory done, I think. I'm in love with him, I can
    admit that now, but I don't just don't know what else to do. There is a
    spark between us, that is just impossible to deny, but my friend just isn't
    very good at picking up the more subtle hints. I'll give some examples.
    Once, we were on a three hour bus trip, and I fell asleep. I woke up to
    find him leaning on my chest. It is one the greatest feelings I have ever
    had. My lips were on the back of his neck, and I had never before felt so
    good. He smelt so good, felt so good. We sort of moulded together on that
    trip. One of my most treasured possessions is a photo that a friend took of
    us to be mean; it is of me with my head on his shoulder. When we woke up,
    he admitted to me that he hadn't actually been asleep that whole time, but
    that it had just felt really good. We talked about it a couple of weeks
    later, and he said that the best part of the trip had been having me fall
    asleep on him.

On Friday, we were listening to one of our favourite bands, singing their
    saddest, most romantic song about unrequited love. It is a song I feel very
    strongly empathetic with! For about four minutes, as we mouthed the words,
    our eyes were just locked lovingly. I cannot describe the feeling; we just
    couldn't see anything beyond each other. There have been so many little
    moments like this, little smiles, shared glances, a little comment. I might
    be reading too much into it, but I can't help myself!

He is just the most wonderful person in the whole world. I cannot think of
    any reason why he would want to be with me, but I just can't stop thinking
    about him. I need advice. What should I do? Do I tell him how I feel? I
    could not bear to jeopardise this friendship; I don't know how I lived
    without it. But it's just killing me to keep the way I feel from him.

2. Sabot Kitty

Welcome to EC, and thank you for sharing you story here. =)

The way you describe him, and your love for him, was very vivid and beautiful. This is from a complete stranger, and so I feel as though if you shared your passion for him in a like manner, he would at the very least see how you see him. I say you should go for it, because you will likely regret not seizing the opportunity to reach out to him.

3. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It clear you love him and from the sound of thugs it may be mutual. I would say there are two ways to go on, first is to wit and see if he make the first move but of course he could end up with a new boyfriend. The second is to just tell him, your feelings seem pretty shared and it sounds like you two would make a great couple, of course this could jeopardise your relationship with him. We all have a friend that we have a crush on but in your case you are lucky as he is gay, I would say that if I had the chance I would tell him as he is likely to at least feel some attraction to you.
    Good luck with whatever you decide
    :icon_bigg

4. Silver Springs

Thank for your responses. They are very kind of you. I do love him, so much. Today in class we did that thing where each person tries to stare at the other without making eye contact. It would be so easy for me to tell him how I feel, but I honestly don't know how I could live without his friendship now... I hope that I'll have the courage to tell him how I feel...

He is just such a beautiful, unique guy. His friends are being really shitty to him at the moment, and his ex boyfriend is messing with his head, so he's in a bad space emotionally at the moment. But we had a really long chat this afternoon, which was mostly me just telling him how awesome I thought he was. He only ever sees the good in other people, even if they've hurt him a thousand times, and I just want him to show a little bit of that forgiving attitude to himself. I want him to see the person I see, beautiful, smart, funny, amazing! But every time he comes close, something bad happens that just messes with his self esteem. He really shouldn't be in this world; he is one of those unique souls that bruise as easily as a rose. I just shrug off criticism. He takes it all to heart.

5. Mane92

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi Silver Springs... First of all I love how passionate you are about your friend and the way things it has been with you two. And also I know how awesome it would be if your feelings are mutual. I understand why you are worried about how he would react but in your situation, I think that's just your inner fear of being serious with him. Here in EC we hear how guys feel about coming out to their straight friends, which is obviously difficult. Since your friend is already bi-sexual, you should have more confidence in yourself to express your love. Maybe you wouldn't want to confess directly, and if so you can take the round trip, where you and him get into more personal conversations and be more sensible to touch(by that I mean holding hands/ footsies/ hugs). I think you might be able to know his feelings for you in such an approach.
    I wish you to have success in this matter and make sure your feelings reach him... <3 :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

6. Silver Springs

Thank you Mane92! Your sentiments really do mean a lot. We are already pretty close physically (pure torture, pure rapture), and we talk about everything... Sigh, this is the one thing that I can't (well, won't) tell him. He really is just a gem of a guy, I swear.

7. Silver Springs

Do you guys know that Fleetwood Mac song 'Everywhere'. That is seriously the soundtrack to my feelings at the moment... I'm so in love with him, and it is so obvious! I really do want to be with him everywhere. "Something's happening, happening to me, my friends say I'm acting peculiarly" My friends aren't the most intuitive people, not by a long shot, but they keep asking me about him, why I like him so much, why I'm always hanging around him; they even notice that I stare at him. And yet the guy himself is completely oblivious... I stare at him for the entirety of our only lesson together, and he doesn't notice. I constantly drop everything to be close to him; he doesn't notice. I even flirt, which is something that I have never done, and he still doesn't notice.

I'm chatting with him on Facebook right now. I just get a knot in my stomach when I do; it's probably my favorite part of the day! I would love to tell him, I really would... But losing this would kill me, losing HIM would kill me, it really would.

8. Mane92

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi again Silver Springs. Yeah I know the feeling you get when he doesn't notice you even after acting like that. It's not like he is slow or anything right? The only doubt is whether he actually doesn't notice or he chose not to notice(sorry to put it bluntly like that, it's because my friend did the same thing to me). Anyway, when it comes to friendship and love, it's really hard to chose one over the other because when you chose one, the other option disappears. That sucks :frowning2:

9. wardrobeescaper

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Aww, that was a sweet story to read. I even put Fleetwood Macs Everywhere on in the background as I read this post. That was the same song I listened to during my unrequited crush on one of my acquaintances and we were no where near as close as you guys.

The situation, well I guess you can either ask him theoretically what would he think if you had feelings for him. Have you come out to him at all?

10. Crazy Azeotrope

Out Status:
    A few people
    Silver Springs, you are an amazing writer. It's clear that you love your friend very deeply. I'm probably not the most qualified person to give relationship advice, but I have been in a similar situation recently. I had a friend who was bi, and we hadn't talked about it even though we were good friends because I was a very sheltered Christian. As I came to terms with being queer, though, I fell head-over-heels in love with her. I came out to her and she was really supportive, but I still didn't tell her how I felt about her because I was scared of ruining our friendship. We spent a lot of time together, and I stared at her and tried to flirt, but like your friend she didn't seem to notice. But finally I worked up the courage to just ask her out on a date, and she said yes! Apparently she'd also liked me romantically for quite a while, but was worried about pressuring me since I was new to the whole queer thing. But we've been dating for over a month now, and it's going really well.

Obviously this doesn't all translate to your situation, and just because it worked out for me doesn't mean it will for you. But in my limited experience, it's best to just bite the bullet and ask him out on a date. Don't do a dramatic confession of undying love - that might be too much at first - just say something like "Hey, I like you romantically as well as platonically, and I was wondering if you'd like to go on a date with me this weekend." Don't make a big deal out of it, but be clear and direct. It sounds like you two are already really close, and a friendship that strong will probably be able to survive you asking him out even if he says no. And just because you haven't noticed signals doesn't mean he doesn't like you - he may just be really bad at flirting, afraid of pressuring you/ruining your friendship, or any number of things. The only way to find out is to ask.

Best of luck - I really hope things work out for you!

11. Silver Springs

Update: We had a big night on Facebook last night. He was talking with his ex boyfriend yesterday. His ex has been having issues with depression and self harm again (after sending a bunch of gloating messages to my friend about how great his life is now), and, my friend, being a beautiful, caring person, reached out to him, tried to comfort him. Well his ex just spat in his face and started making all sorts of accusations about why my friend ended it. Grrrrrrr. Anyway, I stepped in, and tried to be the best friend that I could. I told him that his ex had never deserved him, that he was an amazing, kind, beautiful person. I just wish I had the courage to tell him how I feel! He's so brave, I'm just being a coward about things.

Oh, he isn't slow on the uptake at all. But he has said that he has a bad intuition for telling when people like him romantically. I'm already in love with him, that's the thing... I would be so happy to just be friends, but that ship sailed a long time ago... My feelings are so intense, that to be just friends would be like a puddle besides the ocean.

Oh, he's the only person in the world that I'm out to... He has really been a blessing for me. I've thought about asking the theoretical question, but... It doesn't seem to have much tact, does it?

Thank you, Crazy Azeotrope. I always express myself much better in writing... It's the only way I can express what I really feel. Our experiences have a lot of parallels, which gives me a bit of confidence that everything will work in the end. I'm going to try, I know that now. He's still a bit bruised over his other relationship, but other people are already trying to set him up.

I just wonder what would be the best way to approach it... I'm much better in writing, that would be the best way to show my true feelings, but I could just try and be casual about it. I just don't know what to do... So many possibilities! One thing is absolutely for sure... I love him.

12. dmarc92

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Tell him! Trust me, i know from experience, an experience Im currently in. Being young means means learning critical life lessons, some come sooner than others. Love is one of those lessons and Im learning early as you seem to be, and believe me you need to tell him. It'll eventually eat you up, and keeping your feelings inside could get a lot worse before it gets easy. Or you should at least find some one else you can trust to explain this too in person. I was in a very similar situation and felt relatively identical about my significant other. But I never told them, and over the years it only made things complicated for me emotionally. Now Im not even sure if I can call him a friend, and no matter how much I love him its not the same as it once was. I strongly believe you should tell him how you feel.

13. Silver Springs

Thank you everyone for your advice; I appreciate it so much.

I am going to tell him. I think that our friendship is strong enough to withstand anything, even if he doesn't feel the same way about me. I'm resolved; he will know how I feel for him by next month. The reason I say next month is because we're going to see one of his favorite musicians live. I think that would be a beautiful place to be open to him about how I feel. If anyone has another idea for how to tell him or what to say, I'm all ears. It would probably be simpler just telling him online, and much less awkward for me, but I just don't know.

Every time I look at him I just want to lean over and kiss him. He gives me such joy to be around, if I tell him this he will have me, heart and soul. And if he doesn't feel the same way... Well, it will be a lot better just to have any opportunity ended than to just play cat and mouse. Thanks again everyone!

14. dmarc92

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Tell him in person, that kind of thing should be captivated and it would be more memorable that way. I wish you the best of luck, it seems like he's into you though so I believe this will be beneficial and Im excited to read what happens. Be sure to keep us posted.

15. stumble along

While telling him in the concert would be ideal, maybe put your writing to use and tell him how you feel in a letter? Maybe hand it to him the day of the concert and tell not to open till its over or something.

16. user123456

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, me and many other people here are going through the same thing, but you are lucky to know that your friend is openly bi!

I say, definitely go for it, and tell him. I don't feel like elaborating any more, because everybody before me said enough already, and I agree with them. Just go for it!

Also, I would personally tell him in person. The concert sounds like a good idea. I am personally terrible at talking about personal and serious stuff, but I always talk it out in person. Talking over FB doesn't have the true feeling of real human speech, there is so much more going on when two people communiate (body language, expressions, even subconscious chemistry, etc...), it would be a waste to talk this through on FB.

Also, if he's into you truly, and you talk in person, you can just fall into each other's arms and start kissing uncontrolably :slight_smile: which you couldn't over FB.

#16 user123456, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  17. Silver Springs

Well, obviously falling into each others arms would be the ideal situation...

18. Silver Springs

Wow. I just had a pretty big night. My crush was a bit sad, some if his friends have been behaving abominably towards him, so at first it was just me comforting him, telling him that they don't deserve him. He started talking about how he's feeling some odd conflicting feelings that he can't describe. I ask him if he has a crush. He says that he does, than asks me if I do. I reply that I do indeed.

Well folks, I spent the next four hours telling him how I felt. Except he doesn't know it's about him, haha. He is the most beautiful person in the world. The most amazing person in the world. But he is so freaking oblivious! I don't know whether to laugh or cry, so last night I did both. He tells me that I should offer subtle hints. I say that I do, but the guy doesn't pick up on it. He then says, how can you be sure? I almost slap myself in frustration. He really does not know, haha. This is fast turning into a tragicomedy.

19. ABeautifulMind

I say that I do, but the guy doesn't pick up on it. He then says, how can you be sure?

That sounds like a subtle hint that maybe he is picking up on the clues to me..

20. user123456

Out Status:
    Some people
    This may be the I-want-him-to-be-into-you syndrome speaking from me, but this sounds like he actually IS picking up but is scared to say "is it me?" because if it wasn't him, he would be embarassed.