1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just need someone to listen

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by newkidaround, Jul 29, 2014.

1. newkidaround

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'll try to keep this brief. A couple months ago I met a guy on Craigslist...it was just for a casual hookup. However, we both seemed to like each other and he started emailing me and telling me he wanted to see me, couldn't stop thinking of me, etc. So, I guess I started liking him a bit more. Well, then he started saying,"Oh, I'm free this weekend so I'll text you" and then...no texts. Then, a week later he would text and say "hi" and I'd be like "wth? You said you'd text me last weekend?", then a week later he'd do it again....So, I started feeling like he just wasn't really interested. If you really can't stop thinking of me and you are free, then why haven't I heard from you?

I just got back from a long trip and I brought him back a couple things. He wasn't home when I went by so I left them for him. He texted me later and said thanks and that it was thoughtful of me. Then, I told him I'd like to see him and I had so many stories from my trip to share with him. He responded and said "I can't wait to hear them! I'm free Saturday, Sunday, and Monday and go back to work on Tuesday, so we should be able to get together soon" and I was happy. I told him good night and he said "You, too and I'll see you soon". Well, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday passed and I never heard anything.

I felt like he must have someone new or just not care or I would have heard from him. So, I made a fake post on Craigslist and said I was someone completely different and I just wanted to stop by for a casual hookup. Well, he responded to it right away. Like...instantly. So, he was definitely free...but instead of contacting me like he said, he was on CL looking for someone else. I didn't respond to his email and so he doesn't know it was me.

I'm really hurt. I guess we weren't in a committed relationship...but if you tell me that you can't wait to see me...then why go look for someone else instead? On one hand, I want to respond to the email and be like, "Hey, it's actually (insert my name)....I just made a fake post...I wanted to know why you didn't have time for me anymore and now I know". But then part of me just says to let it go. If I do let it go, I don't know if I'll hear from him again or not. I mean, I met him on a place for casual hookups, so my analytic mind says "Well, that's obviously all he wanted" but then emotionally, it hurts. I guess I just started caring about him more than he cared about me. I don't know if I should say something or not. He wasn't my boyfriend and so I guess he doesn't owe me anything....but it still hurts to have someone say, "ooooh, I'll see you soon. Can't wait to hear your stories, blah blah blah"....obviously he can wait.

So now, I'm just torn between, do I email him back and say something or just let it go. It just hurts. :icon_sad:

2. Skov

I'm sorry you had to go through this. I believe I know exactly what he is doing. He is pretending to care about you to keep you on the hook. The second someone else comes along, he moves onto them. He is just keeping you on the hook for a back up. I'm sorry; I know that sucks. The best thing to do is to delete all of his emails, his email address, and his phone number if you have it. Do not mention the fake profile. Do not talk/respond to him ever again. I know it hurts, but you need to move on because you deserve better.

#2 Skov, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  3. girlpower

Hi! looks like he is only into casual/one time hook ups. He may have liked you for real.. but doesnt want to continue the thing so as to avoid any relationship or baggage. And thats why he texts you that he wants to meet you but wont show up or text when the day comes. I'd say, not to think more about him, as he is not the type you think he is. Its clear he is not into friendships or relationships, so why waste your time spying on him? And also, you need'nt tell him about the fake profile you played with him, he might be pissed off with it. Anyway, you should stop texting him and look forward to meet him, he just doesnt deserve it.

4. newkidaround

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the responses. I deleted all his contact info so that even if I got the urge to contact him, I couldn't. If he contacts me again then I'll tell him we need to talk face to face, as I like to handle things like adults.

I guess part of me blames myself. I mean, I started caring about someone who just wanted sex. That's my fault, not his. The part that bothers me is when he says, "Oh, I can't wait to see you" and then ignores me or "I'm free for the next 3 days" and then he goes looking on Craigslist and never contacts me. I guess I can't be angry that he's looking for other guys, because we weren't in a committed relationship, but it still hurts, because when he says things like that, it makes me feel that he's really interested in seeing me...and then nothing.

It's like...you told me that you couldn't stop thinking about me and couldn't wait to see me...So, if I feel the same way...why would you rather be with a stranger than spending time with me? Maybe he just gets a thrill/rush out of meeting a stranger and then when it wears off, it's on to the next one.

Maybe he does care about me but is just addicted to Craigslist, too....or keeping his options open. I don't know what to think. The last text I got from him was from last saturday when he told me he would see me soon because he was off for several days....then he never contacted me but went looking for sex online. So, I'm not contacting him at all....and if he contacts me, like I said...I'll just tell him that I don't like the way he is treating me.

Anyway, it just hurts....to know that you care about someone and they'd rather meet a stranger for a hookup then spend time with someone they know cares about them. I don't get it.

Thanks for listening, everyone.