1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do i tell my family to stop?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Adolpha, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Adolpha

My Musical universe...oh, I mean...England, London
    Sorry this is long but I really need advice on this!

Well, people have always thought of me as a tomboy, and that it's just a phase, that some of the girls in our family go through it. But, I've always thought and felt that I am both genders, that two genders are trapped inside one body. At times I'm a girl and at times I'm a boy.

Anyway, because my family keep on telling stuff like I'm just a tomboy and that I'll "snap out of this", I would always believe that it was just me being a tomboy and that my mum and my aunt felt the way I feel when they were tomboys. But when I asked them if they ever felt that they were both genders, they would disagree strongly. I did some research and found out that I was bigender. But my family don't know about it and keep on buying me really feminine things.

I only own 1 dress and I only wore it twice. I sometimes wear skirts and stuff, but when I wear "boy" clothes, my older cousins and god sisters (them especially!) criticise me...well they think they are. Once one of my older god sisters said that I looked like a boy and screwed up her face in disapproval. I just smiled and said thanks. My family keep on saying that it's getting too much with my tomboy-ness and that they had all snapped out of it by
    now.

Basically, I live in a Black-Christian environment so I'm already being looked on if I have wife and bride potential. I hate it. I'm forced to wear dresses at parties and talk about boy crushes with the girls. If I don't do it then I get criticized for it.
    How do I make this stop!!

2. RobinHood

RobinHood Guest

I've felt pretty much the same. You could start to ignore their comments, it really worked out for me. Then they will realize whatever they say doesn't bother you and that you're comfortable just the way you are. Be good to yourself, take care! :slight_smile:

3. uniqueness

uniqueness Guest

Avoid them like plague and see how they like it.

4. Really

Not sure how old you are but could you work up some response like:

I'm developing my own style so this is how I'm dressing for now.
    I'm not getting married. I'm going to go to school/get a job and be the best I can be and self-sufficient before I consider getting involved with anyone else. Thank you for supporting me in this.

Good luck!