1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to approach her

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by fmik, Jul 31, 2014.

1. fmik

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I was hoping to get some advice on this forum. I had suspected for a long time but only recently came to the realization that I am attracted to women after falling horribly for my closest friend (yes cliche) and examining my feelings. She is now married and I it took me 3 years to get over it and come to terms with how I feel. I am pretty much in the closet for now except for another close friend in whom I recently confided.
    I was at my yoga class the other day and was really attracted to the instructor (very feminine). I usually take a different class so this was the first time I met her. There were only 3 people in the class and she did of course come around to correct my posture which is her job but I felt her making eye contact for a little longer prompting me to look away as I didn't want her to think I was checking her out. I was there with a friend so I didn't get to chat with her after class. She has a post on the yoga website in support of the LGBT rights and of course I googled her and have some suspicion that she may be a lesbian, apart from the slight vibe she gave me (unless that's just me reaching).
    Anyways, what is the best way to approach her? I am pretty direct so I would like to ask her out but she is essentially a stranger. On the other hand, I really don't want to take her class to get to know her as I feel that would just be inappropriate and if she is straight or dating someone, it would just be awkward to classes with her.
    Thank you.

2. Really

Could you do drop-in just once more to see if the feeling you're getting about her repeats itself? If yes, maybe you could strike up a conversation. Something like, "That class was really good. Can I buy you a wheatgrass smoothie to thank you?". (Or whatever you yoga-loving, bendy people drink.)

3. fmik

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Really thanks for the reply. I was thinking of taking one more class, gauging the attraction. If I feel it again then I could just kind of hang back a little so we could leave at the same time (it's the last class of the day) and strike a conversation and just ask her out. Maybe even for a "wheatgrass smoothie". It just so happens that there is this vegan place right next to the yoga place.

4. Really

Of course there is! Just kidding. My city is awash with all things yoga. I think we were even ranked as worst dressed city in the country for all the yoga wear that passes for fashion here. (Doesn't bother me, though).
    Good luck!
    Post back with an update if you can.

5. fmik

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    So you are probably from Boston. I will post here after the next class which is on Wednesday.

6. Really

Boston? No. Interesting guess. I'm in Canada.

How did it go?