1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stereotypes

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by bicomplicated, Aug 1, 2014.

1. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok so we were drinking at my house last night.. A gay guy friend and two straight girl friends. And my guy friend starts this convo how would you guys feel if you found out if your guy slept with another guy would you want to know? Then he said to me Not you; we know you would be alright with it. And I say hold up, why would I be alright with it? I wouldn't be alright with that? If I knew about my man seeing a man, yeah I would be cool with that. But if he went behind my back, I consider that cheating, and I would want to know and would be upset. Then he made the comment it's hard to trust bi people. And I said it's hard to trust people in general; that is a stereotype and bi people are perfectly capable of being with just one person. To which he rolled his eyes and said How?! You're always gonna want something else. To which I replied you like guys but are you attracted to every guy you meet? Are you gonna sleep with every guy? Our girl friends like guys are they gonna sleep with every guy? No. Same with a bi person, just cause you are attracted to both genders doesn't mean you need to genders. Right now I am lucky enough to be with a bi guy who is cool with me having a gf...but if he hadn't been cool with it, I would have happily respected his wishes and would not be with a girl. Most of my relationships have been manogomous. Anyway I told him gay, straight, or bi people will cheat if you are that type of person, but just cause you are bi doesn't mean you are GOING to cheat. I said that is just a stereotype. And he said he knows but he doesn't know how to get past that stereotype; he can't help thinking this way. Anyway, it really made me sad that a dear friend of mine would clump all bi people together in that stereotype which can be true but isn't true all the time of all bi people. I just HATE stereotypes.

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh, boy. Me too.

My mother dropped the "but you don't act like a boy" shit a while ago and I had to turn away to roll my eyes. It's less specific than bi stereotypes, but... still.

And, apparently he hasn't heard of polyamorous relationships. It's literally just like a regular, two-person relationship - just with more people. Seriously. If everyone is 100% aware, certain, consenting, and okay, then there is nothing to worry about.

3. iloveheralways

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Stereotypes are awful. You can google and see that there are so many gay actors who act as straight people on television and people usually get shocked when they come out...gay,straight,bi,trans etc people are all unique. The world is made of diversity and people need to learn to not judge others, and really get to know them for who they are.

4. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree. Thanks for replies, guys. :slight_smile: