1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avoiding Talking about Sexuality

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Rainbow Girl, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Rainbow Girl

So I came out to my Mom a few months ago and she's accepting and all but she tries to make me talk about it with her and I don't really want to do that. I know she loves me and I know she's trying about the kind of things she asks me are really not helpful (mostly asking me if I'm sure or if I'd ever consider dating a guy). Is there anyway I could tell her I just don't want to talk about it with her?

Edit: I just thought I add it's just the kinds of questions she asks but just not really comfortable talking about my sexuality with her in general.

#1 Rainbow Girl, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  2. Really

"Mom. I really appreciate your support and I'm realise you have questions but I'm kind of uncomfortable talking about things for now. It's very personal. If and when something changes, like meeting a girl, I know/hope I can come to you and we can talk about it. But for now, I just wanted you to know this about me. Nothing else has changed."

3. JustJJx

Nailed it!
    Wishing you the very best pal :slight_smile: (&&&)

4. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What Really posted is a good suggestion, should you wish to not talk to her about it.

However, I would urge you to talk with your mother, if not for your own benefit, for hers.
    A lot of questions are raised in a parent when their child comes out to them or says they may not be straight. The only way for your parent to understand and therefore truly accept who you are is for them to understand your feelings.

Now, your mother may be asking questions like, "Would you ever date a guy?" because she's grieving the loss of the perception that you're straight and she's bargaining to see if you're not actually lesbian.
    This type of question is natural at first.

If you truly feel it's too uncomfortable to talk about, it's very understandable. But asking questions is how we humans understand things, and if anyone should be able to ask you questions, it's your parents.