1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to approach this

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by stumble along, Aug 6, 2014.

1. stumble along

Hey guys, ive been dating a very nice guy for the summer and we get along great.

Unfortunately I leave for 3 months to another country and while he knows this I still find it hard. We both agreed to at least make it an open relationship (and even then I dont intend to whore myself out) but I think I also just want to end things

Like hes a great guy and we've told each other we love each other I just... don't see it as a relationship love, to me I see it as a best friend kind of love (and yeah because we date we do other stuff)

But I feel bad because I know ill have to tell him eventually and I don't want to break his heart, he helped me through so much this summer... but on top of me leaving and not having the love spark, hes 10 years older than me, and its my first relationship

I really wish we could just be friends, I really do, we click so well. I don't want to lose him but I know there's a chance that neither of us could handle still being friends

Somebody help im so conflicted

I leave Monday after next (18th, on my bday) and while we're hanging out this weekend I don't know if I can see him on my last one because of relatives and my parents probably want to do something before I leave

2. Robins Jacket

Although you dont have to tell him that you want to split right away, you should at least talk about how you feel he's like an extremely close friend. It may come out a bit harsh if you say it out of the blue so you two could start talking about other friends and maye you could work that in. If he's as great as he sounds then he wouldn't leave you for not wanting to continue a romantic relationship. If I were you, I would try out the open relationship idea for about a week or two and if you don't feel comfortable then tell him. It's better to be friends than have an awkward or codependant relationship.
    I apologize if this wasn't the most helpful but I hope you at least know that you have some support. Stay strong sugar! <3

3. stumble along

I think your advice is great! I dont have to do anything right now, I guess just affirm he means a lot to me and I have 3 months in another country (Barcelona for study abroad!) To sort out my feelings and have freedom to act single if I feel like it.