1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with Homophobic Parents

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Robins Jacket, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Robins Jacket

I want to come out before college and I don't want it to be a quick mention or something I can throw at them and just leave. I want to be able to tell them individually but there is one problem. They are extremely homophobic and it's sometimes scary what they say about other people. I don't think they would try to hurt me on purpose but let's just say things have happened in the past. It's not the coming out part so much as how am I supposed to face them everyday after that. Does anyone have any clue what they might be thinking of me? Or how you think of your lgbtq children? I have a feeling my sister knows but I can't be sure. I do know that when I went back into my room and checked where i had hidden a gay pride magazine it was moved. I had slept over my friends house do I dont know who saw it but it couldn't have been my brother or sister so it was probably my parents. Should I ask? Someone please help me!

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe they will not react as badly as you think they will?
    They may make lots of off the cuff homophobic remarks at the TV or at newspapers but if it concerned their kid, and happiness, it might mean they come at it from a different angle completely??

3. Robins Jacket

I guess not but I'm just a bit worried because my uncle came out some time ago and I'm not allowed to call or see him anymore and the word gay is basically the f bomb in my house. I'm probably just being paranoid but thank you for helping

4. vendettaxo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Of course it will be hard for them, but at the end of the day the high side is you are their kid. They love you and they will eventually just learn to accept it. After all it isn't like coming out changes you, they'll see you as the same person you've always been. Good luck to you.

5. Robins Jacket

Thank you darling, fingers crossed for the best! <3

6. zacry

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Robins Jacket. I came across your thread after posting a thread about the situation of dealing with my unsupportive parents. How did everything turn out? Hope all is for the best. I would say if you haven't told them about it yet I would first try to find some close friends or family that might take you in for a couple days in the worst case scenario that they do decide to no longer want you living with them. I'm not trying to scare you but in my situation I was kicked out and even though life was more difficult (not hard) I found the heavy burden lifted off my shoulders the best feeling in the entire world. The next obstacle that I am facing in my life is learning to love myself through the unrelenting subconscious thoughts of my parents being disappointed. I'm not sure if I have to just completely ignore and cut them out of my life or try to get them to understand what I am going through. Take care of yourself and hopefully all works out for you for the best.