1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(Ace?) Lesbian crush on my straight friend?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by astridblue, Aug 12, 2014.

1. astridblue

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    As much as I fear opening up like this on a public forum, I need help. I don't have any queer friends to talk to, and I cannot bring myself to "come out" to straight friends before I have figured out my feelings with 100% certainty… This is very long (sorry!), so you can skip to the :help: at the end if you just want the bare bones of the issue!

Backstory: best friends for 5 years, long distance because I work abroad. Even so, we are best friends, text and skype daily and constantly tell each other how much we miss and love each other when we cannot talk for more than a few hours. We tell each other absolutely everything, from deep personal issues to what we had for breakfast, literally every day. She's the most important person in my life and I have never had such a connection with anyone. I want to hug her and make her happy and give her gifts and share icecream with her every day of my life, but the long distance part makes this impossible except for very short visits.

We both sort of identified as straight possibly asexual (no past boyfriends to base this on) but recently I've started considering myself bicurious, somewhat aesthetically attracted to female models and celebrities. My friend comments on the same female celebrities too, but "makes up for it" by talking about male actors much more often. We are both somewhat confused, but I've accepted that I may not be entirely straight while she keeps identifying as hetero.

I had honestly considered the idea of living our life as a happy, domestic asexual pair of best friends. My life goals revolved around saving up enough to move in together, and she always said she'd love to live together, too.

Then, she suddenly mentions a guy.
    They're going out for a date.
    My world crashed down on me.
    I know it sounds stupid, but it's like the future I had imagined had been ripped away from me with the realization that she is, in fact, on the market for a boyfriend.

My feelings:
    At that point I was forced to acknowledge that my extremely deep attachment to her must be vaguely romantic, if I can't stand the thought of her dating anyone else. I've always been terribly jealous and possessive when it comes to her, but I assumed it was a bff thing. So I came to the realization that I would happily date her myself, if I could. I am not physically attracted to her, but then again i am not physically attracted to anyone, have never been. (Except this one dude when I was 14?) I would however kiss and cuddle her, for sure. I do crave that kind of tactile connection.

I haven't been able to tell her anything about my most recent realizations, because she is a very insecure and anxious person who would probably cut all ties with me to save us both some suffering - and I can't imagine living without her friendship. At the same time, the idea of her being in love with someone else makes me cry b***h tears nearly every day. What she currently believes is: I'm very lonely and I don't want her to have a love life, because I wanted us to be "heterosexual life partners" as she put it. No romantic feelings. She says she would probably be happy living the rest of her life with me, but she still wants a husband and some kids, though she isn't sure whether she is asexual or not. Living with me would mean renouncing romance, to her.

As gnarly as it is, I guess she sees me as her best friend while I see her as my ideal life partner (platonically or not, I actually don't care) and it hurts like hell.

I don't know if I should tell her anything. I can't shake the hope that if I told her, she might eventually realize what we could have, living together, going on dates, having an idillic domestic life, adopting pets or even kids - I know I must have it bad if I'm thinking such crazy things when neither of us has even had a real relationship yet, but I can't help it. It's like my world has narrowed down to: I just want to be with her. But she doesn't want to be with me, not in the same way, or not exclusively.

I've thought about writing her a letter, just stating that while I am her best friend, I also would be open to something more… but then there's the ghastly fear that she'd just reply that she doesn't like girls, except for those two or three female celebrities that make her hot. And the ruined friendship would surely hurt more than the rejection.

:help: To sum it up: Never been attracted to girls, but I think I developed really strong romantic feelings for my long-distance possibly-ace probably-straight best friend. I'd date her in a heartbeat, but she doesn't know and she would probably be scared or uncomfortable if she did. She's never dated, but she labels herself as straight. She might start seeing a guy soon, and the very idea sends me into awful spirals of depression. Should I speak up? How should I do that? What should I say? I cannot bear to lose her friendship, but I can't stop thinking about how happy we could be together. I need some resolution, I can't keep pining like this. :help:

2. Robins Jacket

I think the letter idea would actually be great in helping to give you both time to think about what you're going today before actually saying anything. If she's really a good friend then I'm sure she won't stop being friends with you. Maybe, for the moment, she may tell you that she wants a boyfriend so she can get the hang of a relationship. I highly doubt that they're going to get married, runaway, and leave you behind, of she does decide to date someone else. Telling her how you feel won't ruin your friendship as long as neither of you start acting overdramatic (ex. saying that you hate each other, etc).
    I hope this was at least a bit helpful.
    I send love and hugs to you, darling! <3 xoxo

3. astridblue

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you for your input! I'll try to figure out what I want to say in this letter, I'm just afraid of coming on too strong or make her uncomfortable. :frowning2:

4. astridblue

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey everyone. It's been a while and I still haven't been able to send her this letter.

My friend keeps saying she would marry me if only either of us were a man, which only breaks my heart every time. She says sex is the least important part of a relationship, but still says she is attracted exclusively to men. I feel like it's pointless to even tell her about my feelings, considering this.

I could use your help :frowning2: really confused and depressed.

5. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you accept her statement at face value that she's only attracted to men, or do you still think or hope that she feels otherwise? Are you sure that you want more than friendship? Which would you regret more: losing the friendship, or never taking a chance on something more?

If you're still hoping, and the lack of resolution is causing you pain, then I think you need to tell her how you feel -- at least to tell her that you'd like to be more than a friend.

If you really believe that it will ruin the friendship to tell her, and you truly don't want to risk it, then the only way to resolve it would be to let it go completely, if you are able to do so, and the best way to let go is to accept that nothing can or will ever happen.

If you can't let it go without some kind of resolution, it's going to affect your friendship, anyway, especially if she ends up dating or marrying someone.

6. astridblue

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you for your reply!
    I definitely still hope she may change her mind, if just because she's young and has never dated or experimented before.
    I also hope she'd be enough of a good friend to keep being my friend even if I told her these things… But I can't be certain.

Still, keeping quiet is causing me to be moody and passive aggressive whenever she mentions a guy, and I don't want to be. :frowning2: I guess I do need some resolution one way or another. It may suck to be rejected, but i'm already crying myself to sleep as it is.

7. waterfall

waterfall Guest

Astridblue-Be careful! Take your time and think this through. I did tell my best friend (although it is more complicated since we are both married women ) and I have regretted it ever since. At first she said she felt the same way and I was in heaven but as time went on she decided she couldn't deal and wanted distance. My whole world was turned upside down! I didn't realize until it was gone how much my life revolved around being connected to her. Way before I realized I was in love with her, we spent every day connected by phone or email…. all day every day. I am lost without her and if I could go back and just have our friendship I would do it in a heartbeat. I believe now I should let nature take it's course and if it was meant to be it would have been. Instead I was so consumed with her, I felt I HAD to tell her. Our relationship was never the same and now is almost nonexistent. I know I'm rambling but don't rush into a confession of your feelings, without realizing that there may be consequences that you will have to accept and live with. I would do anything to turn back time and have kept my feelings to myself!