1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My girlfriend has internalized homophobia

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by moses43093, Aug 12, 2014.

1. moses43093

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello all,

This is the first time I've used a forum, so forgive me if the message is too long for this kind of thing. I'm trying to help somebody whom I love dearly, and I would really appreciate your advice.

I love my girlfriend - we have been dating for almost 5 months now, and before that we were really good friends. I've known her for three years now, and I cannot be more happy that we are together. She's amazing :slight_smile:

It was a crazy time when we finally took the plunge into "more than just friends" territory, which was scary for both of us. Neither of us had ever been with another girl, and both of us had been (well, we still are) struggling with accepting our sexuality.

She is struggling very hard with homophobia, which is scary for her because she is a lesbian. "I wish I wasn't gay," is a common phrase in conversation with her, and it breaks my heart. She often says, "I wish I could just ignore it" or "I'm sorry that I'm like this" to me. I know that she loves me and wants to be with me, but there is this internal struggle going on with her that is taking a toll on her self-esteem and happiness.

She grew up in a conservative home, so on top of her internalized homophobia, she has to keep our relationship a secret from her family because she's afraid they would disown her. Whew. Deep stuff, right?

Anyways, her past still continues to haunt her, and she's said stuff like, "How is there a God if He lets me go through what I've been through?" And she's been through a lot. She's one of the strongest people I know. The combination of her family, difficult past, internalized homophobia, and the fact that she loves a girl is very overwhelming for her. And all I want to do is help.

It has gotten better - she's learned to trust me, which is very hard for her to do. She's openly gay with my family, because they are okay with me being bisexual (my brother is gay, so they are kind of obligated to love me too!). I've seen improvements and I know that she's trying really hard to be okay with herself. She just gets really down on herself very easily because of everything.

So I guess the questions that I have are about sexuality and relationships. Have any of you struggled this much with accepting yourself once you realized you weren't straight? Any advice? I want to help her have faith, and all I want is for her to be okay with herself. I know that I can't do that for her, but I really love her and I want to be there for her. This has probably been the most difficult 5 months of my life, but the most rewarding all the same. I finally have somebody who gets me, you know? And all I want to do is help her love herself.

2. Abi

Abi Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It will prob' take her some time to accept herself & you to the fullest. It could happen but it may be tough

---------- Post added 13th Aug 2014 at 11:34 AM ----------

Maybe you should suggest your girlfriend to join this site <3 maybe she will learn more if she can speak for herself about this. <3 <3 Keep on having faith, sweetie.

3. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The problem with internalised homophobia is that it is how she is wired and it will take a bit of work to modify the wiring … but positive things, like your very own relationship, should all help the process.

Maybe she needs more positive things to reflect on, or some counselling may even take things to a new level for her?

Does she recognise that she is held back by this? That is a true starting point?

4. prussianblue100

This probably won't be very helpful, but part of me has internalized homophobia too. I have broke down crying before and I still sometimes wish that I was straight. I guess it will just take time for her to get used to her sexuality and learn to love herself. I think her joining this website would be a great idea. There are pretty awesome people here. Good luck to the both of you. :slight_smile:

5. Really

Would hanging around your family a bit more help? Or any accepting environment, for that matter. I'm wondering if she could experience a more accepting bunch of people for whom she is perfectly normal give her a chance to absorb the idea for herself. I think somehow to boost her confidence would go a long way towards her self-acceptance and being able to ignore/handle the negative effects of her situation.
    Good luck! You sound like a great gf!