1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friends want to set me up with a guy. Help!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Najlen, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Najlen

I will try to keep this short. Here goes:
    Two of my friends (M and B) decided that this guy they're friends with (N) and I would be a great match. I tele one of them at one point that I like girls, but she continues to say I should get together with him. M and B hosted a singing party, and N and I as well as a few other girls and guys were invited. To make a long story short, my brain and N's are almost exactly the same. We are both honors students who sing and love trench coats, and we are in many of the same fandoms. The song that he sang was the song from the end of Portal. It was awesome. I kind of wished that I had figured out the chords to the song the mudders sing in Jaynestown (an episode of Firefly) or something like that. When he left, he said goodbye to me if Vulcan. Vulcan! We exchanged a lot of random glances, because our friends would say things that were only funny too us, and so I would look up to see if he also thought something was funny, and he would be doing the same thing at the same time. I could go on and on, but I won't bore you with that. Anyway, he is a geeky girl's dream. A geeky girl who likes guys, that is. And herein lies my problem. Because while I live in a place where it is safe to be openly LGBTQ, I do not have very many accepting friends, if that makes sense. I will lose a lot of them if I come out now, or at least our relationships will change. I really, really want to be friends with this guy, and I will be seeing quite a bit of him because we will have concert choir together. We are close to the same height, so there is a chance that we will be standing next to each other, or else pretty close. I'm not worried about becoming friends with him, I don't see how we couldn't. It's my other friends I'm worried about. One at least will understand, probably two. But from the others, there will be constant pressure to be more than friends, which neither of us want and will probably drive us apart to some degree. He likes someone else, but she doesn't like him. Also, there's always the possibility of him developing romantic feelings for me, which I would most likely not return, but that's a whole other can of worms. I have another friend who I'm only in long distance contact with, she lives in a different state, I told her about N and she is also convinced we will become more than friends. I know I can tell her that I like girls, but I'm too scared. I wonder about her too, though, she tells me about boys she's kissed and how it's never as good as kissing is made out to be. Also my mother apparently was convinced she was gay when we were younger. I don't know. I'm just scared to tell her. Sorry this was so long, I didn't mean for it to be. what should I do about these friends? Is there anything I can do without coming out to them? Thanks in advance.

2. Abi

Abi Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You could make up an excuse like "I am not allowed to do that right now because _"